Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New pressure pipe parts not working

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
ptn
Explorer
5589 Views, 14 Replies

New pressure pipe parts not working

I want to create some custom parts, but before I can even get that far, every time I create a new pipe it doesn't work in cad. I want PVC at the end of the day, but I tried to create 3" ductile iron with all the same options as the other pipes in the catalog and it won't draw in CAD. It will let me add the pipe size to the parts list and I can select it when I try to draw the pipe, but when I click in the drawing it goes to 0,0 and won't add any pipes to the drawing. Am I missing something here?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
SethHall
in reply to: ptn

I just went through this whole process and created a new pipe, then imported it into my parts list. I could then select it and draw it in a new pressure network. Maybe if you supplied your exact steps we could have a better idea as to what may be going wrong.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 15
ptn
Explorer

Haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot this, but I'm looking at it again. On a new workstation, fresh install of windows and autocad, I created an 8" PVC pipe in the content editor in the default Imperial push-on catalog . I then added it into my parts list on the first run of civil 3d and created a new pressure pipe network. Selected my new 8" PVC pipe and when I click to draw the pipe, I select the first point and it asks for second point. After I click second point, the pipe doesn't insert anything and it continues to ask me for the second point, and I can keep clicking but no pipes are inserted.

It works fine if I use any parts in the included catalogs, this only happens with new pipes & fittings.

Message 4 of 15
tom_berning

Anyone have any luck with this. I am looking at doing the exact same thing, add PVC to my catalog but I get the exact same problem even when trying to add a 3" pipe to ductile iron.

Tom Berning
Woolpert, Inc.
Civil 3D 2020
Message 5 of 15
MikeEvansUK

Are you both using Civil3d As UKIE or a similar country kit?

The Beta had a problem with the ukie profile whereby the parts catalogue was not reconised which seems to stil be the case on my installation, try running Civil3d as Metric or imperial and retry the pressure networks.

Reissue the set catalog command and retry.

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 15
ptn
Explorer
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

I'm using the US version. I tried adding a PVC pipe to the metric catalog and running metric civil. It let me add the PVC pipe this time, so I switched back to Imperial and it let me add the custom pipe I had added there as well. Still can't add CONTENT files or use a catalog made from scratch, but making progress thanks to your advice.

What do you mean by reissue the set catalog command?

Message 7 of 15
roncouillard

I have have run into the same exact issue. I created a copy of one of the SQL Lite files, added some PVC pipes into it, create a new parts list (on a side note, I could not add the new material into an existing parts list) and when I went to draw a part using the new parts list, I could only select the PVC pipe from the list. Then it behaved as people from the other posts described going to 0,0 and not drawing a pipe. Finally, I created another parts list, and this time everything was selectable, however, the PVC still did not work. When I tried to use the ductile iron, I got an internal error then a crash. Any ideas?

Message 8 of 15
taneum
in reply to: roncouillard

I am having the exact same issue as all of you.  I copied the Imperial_AWWA_Mechanical.sqlite file and added our copy name to the end of it.  That way when I make changes/additions to it, I have not messed up the orignal .sqlite file.

I went into the content editor and under pipes I created a 12" pvc pipe.  I put in the information from a pipe supplier and saved the file.  I then set the catalog to my company named catalog and created a pressure pipe network.  Under the parts list I created a new one with the street name we are woking on and in the parts list I added the 12" pvc pipe I created.  When I draw the pipe it does the same thing.  I click my first point and instead of displying the pipe when I move my crosshairs, it just displays a single line and I click the next point and it goes to 0,0.  No pipes get drawn in.  If I use the ducitle iron pipe that comes with it everything works fine.

Message 9 of 15
taneum
in reply to: taneum

I am curious if when we are creating these pipes, if there is some information we are leaving out that is not allowing the software to draw the pipe.  There are several columns of information to fill out that, as like me, I would guess otheres to not fill out.  Just a thought.........I don't know.

Message 10 of 15
JoeHess

I took the " (inch) sign out of the description and my pipes started working. Let me know if this helps.

Message 11 of 15
taneum
in reply to: JoeHess

I just took it out and it works for me as well.  Thaks!

Message 12 of 15
ptn
Explorer

That was the trick! It kind of makes sense to me now, knowing it uses a SQLite daabase and trying to use quotes in a field. Thanks a bunch, this problem was driving me nuts!

Message 13 of 15
Chuck_pietra

Quick Update on this . In 2914 as you might guess its still the case. Removing the quotes fixes.  Wasted a few hours tracking this down.

Message 14 of 15
rjairath
in reply to: Chuck_pietra

good thing i found this ..I made a whole catalog 3 months ago.. justa dded 3 new parts and I could not figure just why they would not work.. until I read about the " (inch mark) low behold my 3 new items had inch mark under the nominal description changed it (in) and now it works.  

Autodesk should add a notation stating what charaters should not be used in fields in their Part Publishing guide book.

ps: under what category does the community save flanges and gaskets?

odd that a pressure catalog does not have flanges

Thank you for reading,

Win7 64bit Pro
Xeon E5-1620 v2, 3.70GHz, 32GB Ram

Please mark solution found if this post solved your issue or give kudos when appropriate.

Message 15 of 15
fuzz2112

inch symbol where? what description?

I don't put someone else's quote here and pawn it off as my own

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report