Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Machine running C3D Super Slow

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
wglenn13
551 Views, 10 Replies

New Machine running C3D Super Slow

I have been runing C3D 2014 since last year and haven't had a problem.  I just got a new machine a few months ago and it has been a struggle since then.

HP Z620

Windows 7 64 Bit

NVIDIA Quadro K2000

Intel Xeon E5-2620 0 @ 2.00 Ghz

16 GB Ram

I have seen an increase in fatal errors.  While doing anything with surfaces, profiles, pipe networks, I have some serious lag time every time I click a button.  It's like my computer can't keep up with what I am trying to do.  I've been going back and forth with people around the office and we think that the problem is the processor.  From what I have read CAD is only utilizing 1 processor @ 2.00 Ghz and is that where my slow/lagging issues are coming along? 

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: wglenn13

I'd bet it's a network issue, sir, or an hard disk imminent failure: call your IT crew, ASAP.

Message 3 of 11
wglenn13
in reply to: antoniovinci

IT has been trying different things for the past month.  They have tried different video drivers and many other things and they can't seem to find what the problem is.

Message 4 of 11
AllenJessup

Do you frequently us raster images in your drawings?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
wglenn13
in reply to: AllenJessup

Very infrequently, maybe a couple of times a month I deal with them. 

Message 6 of 11
AllenJessup

So does it run any better if you don't have an image in the file? The reason I ask is I was just having an awful time with Civil 3D running excessively slow. It was gobbling up all 32 GB or ram. I found that if I detached the raster the problem went away. I solved it by saving the PNG file as a JP2 file. Now no problems.

Allen Jessup

Civil 3D - IDSP 2014
Dell Precision T3610, Xeon CPU 3.70 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,32 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K4000
Samsung SSD 512GB
HGST (WD) 512GB drive

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
wglenn13

95% of the drawings that I am dealing with don't have any raster images attached to them.  I do see a speed decrease when dealing with drawings with raster images, but that is not what I am normally dealing with on a daily basis. 

I'm running into issues like clicking on mtext to edit it, pauses for 3 seconds and cursor won't move, and then it catches up.  Then, I type, and it takes 2-5 seconds for any text to start showing up.  It's just lagging on every simple thing that I do so it is even worse when I start dealing with real C3D things.

Message 8 of 11
rkmcswain

wglenn13 wrote:
I'm running into issues like clicking on mtext to edit it, pauses for 3 seconds and cursor won't move, and then it catches up.  Then, I type, and it takes 2-5 seconds for any text to start showing up.  It's just lagging on every simple thing that I do so it is even worse when I start dealing with real C3D things.

As a test..... Unplug the network cable, make sure there are no other network connections (such as WiFi), and try again. Is the performance any different in this mode?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 11
AllenJessup

Have you cleaned your Temp folder?

tmp.PNG

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
wglenn13

Deleted everything out of my temp folder, 2 gb worth of files.  Seems like that has made a drastic improvement right now.  I am going to try the network cable If I see this didn't completely solve the problem.

Thank you

Message 11 of 11
rkmcswain

Yes. Allen's suggestion is certainly the first thing to try. Sorry I failed to mention that.

A "full" %temp% directory will slow down AutoCAD and this is probably more common than anything else.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report