Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New computer purchase - 32gb RAM and/or SSD

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
c_c__
2549 Views, 3 Replies

New computer purchase - 32gb RAM and/or SSD

We do large residental projects with very tight corridors (2-5' frequency due to curves and walls in some areas).  Our design files are averaging 30-60 meg for grading.  We seem to get hung up on Civil writing temporary save files (.tmp) about every 10-15 minutes (not ac$ files).

Would anyone suggest getting 32 gb of RAM on a new computer or would I even use that much?  SSD v Traditional HD? Here are the current specs we are looking at:

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz)

Windows® 7 Professional, 64Bit, English

32GB (4 X 8GB) Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660

1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: c_c__

Not sure you would ever use that much RAM.  I can see one small bottleneck - 7200 RPM SATA II drive.  Go with a SATA 6 Gb/s drive, something with a large cache size.  Most motherboards have at least two ports for these.  If you have all your work, settings, etc. on a network and don't mind a *little* extra cost go with a SATA 6 Gb/s SSD for the OS and software.  Speaking of networks, might be an idea to make sure yours is up to snuff - no point dropping major cash on an overclocked RAM monster only to show little improvement.

And, the hardware forum: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Hardware/bd-p/116

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 4
autoMick

Personally I doubt you'd use the RAM. On my computer I went for 16 Gb which has been more than adequate (most of my work is with large surfaces and lots of gradings), but I made sure I had extra slots to go higher in the future if needed. 

I'd do a bit of research on the 3820 processor though. Initially I was considering this one for my build but quickly changed my mind after reading various specs/reviews. If you are just using C3D, then you are better off having a faster processing speed rather than more cores, as a lot of the time you're only utilising one core.

A SSD is great. There is some debate out there about long-term reliability, but I haven't had any problem with two computer running them for a year or so now. They are waaaaaay faster than traditional HDD's. I have a sata 6 HDD for data - I'm sure it's faster than the older drives, but it's not particularly noticeable.

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 4 of 4
HansSMS

I installed a SSD drive and it has been really worthwhile. No noise, no vibrations and astoundingly fast.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report