Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New at Civil 3D

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
334 Views, 26 Replies

New at Civil 3D

I have been using the Land Desktop and before that Softdesk software for many years. Today, I got upgraded to Civil 3D, and am confused as can be. Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting back up to speed with this software?
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I would say find a good instructor and take a course, unless you want to spend a lot of time on the tutorials and practise time. Matt Kolberg "civil mil" wrote in message news:3368455.1101848319649.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have been using the Land Desktop and before that Softdesk software for many years. Today, I got upgraded to Civil 3D, and am confused as can be. Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting back up to speed with this software?
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous

I agree with Matt but also suggest that the tutorials are well worth the investment in time. Go through the tutorials and post questions here. "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message news:41ace208$1_3@newsprd01... > I would say find a good instructor and take a course, unless you want to > spend a lot of time on the tutorials and practise time. > > Matt Kolberg > > > "civil mil" wrote in message > news:3368455.1101848319649.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > I have been using the Land Desktop and before that Softdesk software for > many years. Today, I got upgraded to Civil 3D, and am confused as can be. > Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting back up to speed with this > software? > >
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous

Also if you have not already, spend some time reviewing the archived and future live civil 3d webcasts. There is alot of valuable information there. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 "Landman" wrote in message news:41ace85d$1_3@newsprd01... > I agree with Matt but also suggest that the tutorials are well worth the > investment in time. Go through the tutorials and post questions here. > > "Matt Kolberg" wrote in message > news:41ace208$1_3@newsprd01... > > I would say find a good instructor and take a course, unless you want to > > spend a lot of time on the tutorials and practise time. > > > > Matt Kolberg > > > > > > "civil mil" wrote in message > > news:3368455.1101848319649.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > I have been using the Land Desktop and before that Softdesk software for > > many years. Today, I got upgraded to Civil 3D, and am confused as can be. > > Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting back up to speed with > this > > software? > > > > > >
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous

There are also some books avaiable now. I would recommend the AOTC by Autodesk book. Read post below... "Same question as a year or so ago", Ignore the bickering between me and Jeff and read Dave Simeones posted reply. That is a great place to start. "civil mil" wrote in message news:3368455.1101848319649.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have been using the Land Desktop and before that Softdesk software for many years. Today, I got upgraded to Civil 3D, and am confused as can be. Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting back up to speed with this software?
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous

I am going to share my opinion only because it may save you some regrets. In my opinion, since Civil 3D does not provide tools for Pipes, sheet layouts, and a few other crucial functions to completing a Civil design, and since we are still dependent on Civil Design to do these tasks, and since the design data between the 2 applications are not compatible so that 2 sets of data must be maintained (DTMS, ALIGNMENTS, POINTS, etc), it is not practical to implement it in a production environment in it's present incarnation. Spending time to learn how to use it should be considered as a means to get familiar with the technology rather for putting it to productive use. When Civil 3D is finally capable of carrying out the complete design process, you will likely have to spend the learning time all over again to be sure to cover all of the changes that will surely be implemented in the interim. Again, it is my opinion and surely others feel that the advanced features of Civil3D warrant the efforts to straddle the 2 applications. I just wanted you to be aware of these facts before investing considerable time and money into training that could end up in vain. "civil mil" wrote in message news:3368455.1101848319649.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I have been using the Land Desktop and before that Softdesk software for >many years. Today, I got upgraded to Civil 3D, and am confused as can be. >Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting back up to speed with >this software? >
Message 7 of 27
albionpjl

speaking as a non-civil engineer user, who doesn't know what pipes, sheet designs or even DTMS are (at least in this context as the first to never seem to mean what I understand by them), for all the 3d stuff I actually have to do with autodesk products (mainly 3d landscape reproduction and reconstruction (archaeological that is) Civil 3d is amazingly inferior to LDT. Everything ldt does easily is a command by command slog in C3d. I've yet to find anything relevent to me that is easier. The only reason I use it at all is to try and reduce the learning curve with whatever follows it, as ldt has been discontinued.
(tutorials are all very well if you've been given a budget to run them all and have the time to do so)

ok yeah, I hate change.
Anyone got a sheet of paper and a rotoring pen?
Joan
Did autodesk assume that only civil designers would be wanting to create 3d landscape?
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous

Wow, Joan that's a bit disappointing for you. I have not used Civil 3D yet but I had hoped it would be good for 3D landscapes. Probably Autodesk DID assume (at this stage) that only civil engineers would be using it. HOPEFULLY that might improve rapidly in future. By the way, have you tried SketchUp at all ?? Amazing but not for civil engineers. Could be great for archaeologists for buildings anyway. Doug Boys Cardno Brisbane Australia
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous

I really appreciate your opinion here. I think one of the main reasons for my confusion, is that I have been looking for the great advancement to the Land Desktop platform with Civil 3D, which in the past has been an excellent production tool. Everything I was seeing suggested that there was the requirement for maintaining two separate sets of design files, and I was finding it hard to believe this was really the case.
In addition to the more awkward workings of this module, it looks like Autodesk has taken away some of the great project mgt settings that have always been a part of Land Desktop. Thanks again for your opinion.
Message 10 of 27
Anonymous

First of all, none of us can make any evaluations as to how valuable this product will be - it's not finished yet. For those who need what it does not offer, they will have to decide whether the hassles of maintaining two sets of data are worth designing in two separate environments - and this would depend on the type of projects. For a major sewer design, I wouldn't dream of using C3D at all. For major road design - I wouldn't hesitate because the tools that are shipping are far more capable, and much easier to administer, than LDT supplies. For a 50/50 project - it would depend on the timetable and my mood . C3D is model based and LDT was model based - sort of....if you didn't mind managing a whole set of disconnected data. Moving to C3D will take a major mind warp to design and produce documents differently. Just because it is different doesn't make it bad.... I really can't envision anyone using only C3D for any real work - but using it in conduction with LDT is plausible if it adds to the productivity or creates a better model that obtainable in LDT. C3D is really not a 'great advancement to the Land Desktop platform' - it is a parallel product that is maneuvering to replace LDT some day. It's a work in progress, and if you take the time to work with it, your input could have an impact on what the final product looks like and does. Good luck -- Karl Fuls PLS Autocad AEC Training and Consulting Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator civil mil wrote: > I really appreciate your opinion here. I think one of the main > reasons for my confusion, is that I have been looking for the great > advancement to the Land Desktop platform with Civil 3D, which in the > past has been an excellent production tool. Everything I was seeing > suggested that there was the requirement for maintaining two separate > sets of design files, and I was finding it hard to believe this was > really the case. In addition to the more awkward workings of this > module, it looks like Autodesk has taken away some of the great > project mgt settings that have always been a part of Land Desktop. > Thanks again for your opinion.
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous

Just last night, I watched Shawnita Sterret, the QUEEN of LDT, get dusted in a head to head with a GIS guy that had learned to handle C3D over two days on the phone. He was admittedly comfortable with the concepts, but he WAS a new user, and was able to beat the pants off of the best Autodesk has. They did a head to head comparison of: Parcel Layout and Labeling Profiling Cross Section vs. Corridor Modeling VA adjustment to get a working dirt number. In every case, Shawnita was a least a few minutes behind, and wouldn't even take the challenge on the last task. This was in front of 500 people at AU, and if you know Shawnita, you know how fast she makes LDT dance. To be perfectly honest, if you're not at least investigating and beginning some level of C3D implementation from at least an infrastructure and support side, you're already falling behind your competition. It simply will be the Civil toolset for the foreseeable future. You CAN do a complete project from start to finish in C3D, but it's a limited project application. Most of you know we don't use pipes, I don't use Sheet Sets in the CD vertical, and we don't do long highways. For subdivision design based on typical alignment/Excel design techniques, C3D is ready to go. -- James Wedding, P.E. Technology Manager Associate Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D2005
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous

And if the C3D guy had to create a set of plan sheets, then what? Shawnita would have quickly blown the C3D user away by the end of the design cycle. I spend far more time detailing plan sheets than design (I do everything from data collection to final plans). Yes Civil3D can do lots of things faster than LDT. It is a marvelous advancement that I have been waiting for for years. But if you want to look at performance comparisons, you have to look at the whole picture. Not to mention, what would happen if the Civil 3D user grabbed a PI and tweaked it. Then the LDT alignment would be out of sync and you would have a big headache to get everything synchronized and updated in LDT/Civil Design to regen the sheets. It is easy to see how you would end up with a longer design cycle than LDT/Civil Design alone. "James Wedding" wrote in message news:41adf88d$1_1@newsprd01... > Just last night, I watched Shawnita Sterret, the QUEEN of LDT, get dusted > in a head to head with a GIS guy that had learned to handle C3D over two > days on the phone. He was admittedly comfortable with the concepts, but he > WAS a new user, and was able to beat the pants off of the best Autodesk > has. They did a head to head comparison of: > Parcel Layout and Labeling > Profiling > Cross Section vs. Corridor Modeling > VA adjustment to get a working dirt number. > > In every case, Shawnita was a least a few minutes behind, and wouldn't > even take the challenge on the last task. This was in front of 500 people > at AU, and if you know Shawnita, you know how fast she makes LDT dance. > > To be perfectly honest, if you're not at least investigating and beginning > some level of C3D implementation from at least an infrastructure and > support side, you're already falling behind your competition. It simply > will be the Civil toolset for the foreseeable future. > > You CAN do a complete project from start to finish in C3D, but it's a > limited project application. Most of you know we don't use pipes, I don't > use Sheet Sets in the CD vertical, and we don't do long highways. For > subdivision design based on typical alignment/Excel design techniques, C3D > is ready to go. > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > Technology Manager > Associate > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005+C3D2005 > >
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous

I can appreciate what you are saying, and it is probably premature for me to state that C3D is a step back from LDT, since I have only been working with it for literally a few hours. I believe you are correct, there is a major mind warp required to work with C3D, in fact this is probably where my initial frustration lies. I've spent years perfecting my procedures for efficiently developing designs and production drawings in LDT, and now I have to go back to school to relearn and readjust these procedures.

The reply's that I have gotten on my initial questions have been very helpful to me, in understanding how this new product is being used, some of it's pitfalls as well as it's benefits. Thank you everyone.
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous

"James Wedding" wrote in message news:41adf88d$1_1@newsprd01... > In every case, Shawnita was a least a few minutes behind, and wouldn't even > take the challenge on the last task. This was in front of 500 people at AU, > and if you know Shawnita, you know how fast she makes LDT dance. Seems this happened with their solid modeling app a couple of years ago, too, though there seemed to be some shenanigans involved, if I remember correctly. > To be perfectly honest, if you're not at least investigating and beginning > some level of C3D implementation from at least an infrastructure and support > side, you're already falling behind your competition. It simply will be the > Civil toolset for the foreseeable future. I have not spent much time trying it out, yet, but from what I have seen..........I'm concerned.
Message 15 of 27
albionpjl

Hi Doug,
I suspect that C3d can do most of the same stuff as ldt, but it's not neatly packaged with a terrain manager like ldt. The commands seem to be more scattered around, the frustration partly comes from finding them. I actually don't do that much 3d modelling (though it's something we want to increase) but when I do it has to be done yesterday so I have to stick to ldt which I am more familiar with, so I don't get the chance to learn where things are in c3d.
One thing I will say for it, it doesn't muck around creating projects like ldt, so it's probably more like Map with 3d capabilities.

I haven't heard of sketchup before so I'll have a look for it.
thanks for the suggestion,
Joan
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous

Hi Tom - I worked with Shawnita on this presentation. We worked on the same site, etc. Shawnita did everything possible to crank things out in LDT. My recommendation is - try it yourself. There are things that will be incredibly more efficient in C3D and there are things that are better in LDT. What we've heard (not me making this up...) is that the efficiency gains with certain operations in C3D far outweigh the effort/time needed to move data back and forth between LDT and C3D. My suggestion is - spend some time, explore, try out a small pilot/test project, etc. Then do your own assessment. Note - there is an Return on Investment webcast this Friday that discusses this very topic. It was generated by an non-Autodesk consultant who did independent analysis of actual users. Your results may (will) vary, but it's a pretty good starting place. Thanks DAS "TomD" wrote in message news:41ae423b$1_2@newsprd01... > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:41adf88d$1_1@newsprd01... > > > In every case, Shawnita was a least a few minutes behind, and wouldn't > even > > take the challenge on the last task. This was in front of 500 people at > AU, > > and if you know Shawnita, you know how fast she makes LDT dance. > > Seems this happened with their solid modeling app a couple of years ago, > too, though there seemed to be some shenanigans involved, if I remember > correctly. > > > To be perfectly honest, if you're not at least investigating and beginning > > some level of C3D implementation from at least an infrastructure and > support > > side, you're already falling behind your competition. It simply will be > the > > Civil toolset for the foreseeable future. > > I have not spent much time trying it out, yet, but from what I have > seen..........I'm concerned. > >
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous

As someone who has used S8 and all of the Land Desktops, I was very impressed with Shawnita's ability to work very quickly with LDt. I did also notice that the GIS person was not very proficient with Civil 3D (meaning he was slightly hesitant). All this being said the GIS person with Civil 3D EASILY finished ahead of Shawnita. Without question the demonstration points out how Civil 3D can do most things significantly faster and easier than LDt. No one is saying that today Civil 3D can completely replace LDt. What is being said is that for some users Civil 3D can already do what they need faster and easier. For most of the rest, I believe that doing designs in Civil 3D and migrating data back to LDt can still be more efficient and profitable than working completely in LDt. The increased efficiency can make up for the increased overhead of migrating the data back to LDt. To flat out discount this option is perhaps slight shortsighted. Not every group can adjust their methods and processes quickly. For some larger groups change is a very long-term event. But, both products are available and organizations facing staffing shortages should take a look at adding this to the mix. It is not a perfect product. No product ever will be. Every company and agency will use it differently with different goals. But several of our clients feel that they can make it work to their advantage today. And when it becomes a more robust product they will be able to take advantage of their position more quickly than their competition. Civil 3D is not a new toolbox, which replaces your old toolbox. It is a new tool for the toolbox. Use it when the situation calls for it. In closing let me offer one last scenario. Let's say that an organization will use LDt for all of their "Designing, Drafting, and Project Management" needs. If they face a situation where using a third party add-on will allow them to do something faster and easier, then they will use that add-on even if some additional learning and perhaps data manipulation is involved. This should be no different. If it can do things more easily and efficiently even with the extra data migrations steps then it is a disservice to my employer if I do not at least entertain its use. Regards to all, Angel Espinoza KETIV Technologies "Neil W" wrote in message news:41adfd31_3@newsprd01... > And if the C3D guy had to create a set of plan sheets, then what? Shawnita > would have quickly blown the C3D user away by the end of the design cycle. I > spend far more time detailing plan sheets than design (I do everything from > data collection to final plans). Yes Civil3D can do lots of things faster > than LDT. It is a marvelous advancement that I have been waiting for for > years. But if you want to look at performance comparisons, you have to look > at the whole picture. Not to mention, what would happen if the Civil 3D user > grabbed a PI and tweaked it. Then the LDT alignment would be out of sync and > you would have a big headache to get everything synchronized and updated in > LDT/Civil Design to regen the sheets. It is easy to see how you would end up > with a longer design cycle than LDT/Civil Design alone. > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:41adf88d$1_1@newsprd01... > > Just last night, I watched Shawnita Sterret, the QUEEN of LDT, get dusted > > in a head to head with a GIS guy that had learned to handle C3D over two > > days on the phone. He was admittedly comfortable with the concepts, but he > > WAS a new user, and was able to beat the pants off of the best Autodesk > > has. They did a head to head comparison of: > > Parcel Layout and Labeling > > Profiling > > Cross Section vs. Corridor Modeling > > VA adjustment to get a working dirt number. > > > > In every case, Shawnita was a least a few minutes behind, and wouldn't > > even take the challenge on the last task. This was in front of 500 people > > at AU, and if you know Shawnita, you know how fast she makes LDT dance. > > > > To be perfectly honest, if you're not at least investigating and beginning > > some level of C3D implementation from at least an infrastructure and > > support side, you're already falling behind your competition. It simply > > will be the Civil toolset for the foreseeable future. > > > > You CAN do a complete project from start to finish in C3D, but it's a > > limited project application. Most of you know we don't use pipes, I don't > > use Sheet Sets in the CD vertical, and we don't do long highways. For > > subdivision design based on typical alignment/Excel design techniques, C3D > > is ready to go. > > -- > > James Wedding, P.E. > > Technology Manager > > Associate > > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > > Dallas, TX > > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > > LDT2005+C3D2005 > > > > > > >
Message 18 of 27
Anonymous

Hey Neil; What would you think of C3D's abilities to be put into use as a whiz-bang tool for preliminary planning purposes? You know the ones I mean - where the client starts off the conversation "What if...". I can see this would be the niche it quite ably fulfills in its current state of "revolution". -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Neil W" wrote in message news:41acff50_1@newsprd01... > I am going to share my opinion only because it may save you some regrets. > > In my opinion, since Civil 3D does not provide tools for Pipes, sheet > layouts, and a few other crucial functions to completing a Civil design, and > since we are still dependent on Civil Design to do these tasks, and since > the design data between the 2 applications are not compatible so that 2 sets > of data must be maintained (DTMS, ALIGNMENTS, POINTS, etc), it is not > practical to implement it in a production environment in it's present > incarnation. Spending time to learn how to use it should be considered as a > means to get familiar with the technology rather for putting it to > productive use. When Civil 3D is finally capable of carrying out the > complete design process, you will likely have to spend the learning time all > over again to be sure to cover all of the changes that will surely be > implemented in the interim. > > Again, it is my opinion and surely others feel that the advanced features of > Civil3D warrant the efforts to straddle the 2 applications. I just wanted > you to be aware of these facts before investing considerable time and money > into training that could end up in vain. > > "civil mil" wrote in message > news:3368455.1101848319649.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > >I have been using the Land Desktop and before that Softdesk software for > >many years. Today, I got upgraded to Civil 3D, and am confused as can be. > >Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting back up to speed with > >this software? > > > > >
Message 19 of 27
Anonymous

Angel Espinoza puts the issue in perfect perspective with these two thoughts. snip>It is not a perfect product. All we have to do is look to all the software available to us today for example after example of this point. snip>No product ever will be. So with that in mind I would look for the best possible use of this marvelous step forward that has the greatest potential to revolutionize the way we think about design for the foreseeable future. In other words; Anybody can find fault with anything, but sometimes it takes some time to find the true usefulness of a new tool. It may not even be what the designer had in mind as they put the finishing touches on it. And Dave Simeone has earned my respect, by being willing to listen to us, even when we may have only a negative to share. He has shown me that he wants our opinions, and is responsive to us - which is a breath of fresh air compared with some of the folks in the Bay Area and New England. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" Barghausen Consulting Engineers Kent, WA USA LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WIN2K SP4 Dell 1.6 Ghz P4 512MB RAM NVIDIA 32MB AGP "Angel Espinoza" wrote in message news:41b4f0fa$1_1@newsprd01... > As someone who has used S8 and all of the Land Desktops, I was very > impressed with Shawnita's ability to work very quickly with LDt. I did also > notice that the GIS person was not very proficient with Civil 3D (meaning he > was slightly hesitant). All this being said the GIS person with Civil 3D > EASILY finished ahead of Shawnita. Without question the demonstration points > out how Civil 3D can do most things significantly faster and easier than > LDt. > > > > No one is saying that today Civil 3D can completely replace LDt. What is > being said is that for some users Civil 3D can already do what they need > faster and easier. For most of the rest, I believe that doing designs in > Civil 3D and migrating data back to LDt can still be more efficient and > profitable than working completely in LDt. The increased efficiency can > make up for the increased overhead of migrating the data back to LDt. To > flat out discount this option is perhaps slight shortsighted. Not every > group can adjust their methods and processes quickly. For some larger groups > change is a very long-term event. But, both products are available and > organizations facing staffing shortages should take a look at adding this to > the mix. Every company > and agency will use it differently with different goals. But several of our > clients feel that they can make it work to their advantage today. And when > it becomes a more robust product they will be able to take advantage of > their position more quickly than their competition. > > > > Civil 3D is not a new toolbox, which replaces your old toolbox. It is a new > tool for the toolbox. Use it when the situation calls for it. > > > > In closing let me offer one last scenario. Let's say that an organization > will use LDt for all of their "Designing, Drafting, and Project Management" > needs. If they face a situation where using a third party add-on will allow > them to do something faster and easier, then they will use that add-on even > if some additional learning and perhaps data manipulation is involved. This > should be no different. If it can do things more easily and efficiently even > with the extra data migrations steps then it is a disservice to my employer > if I do not at least entertain its use. > > > > Regards to all, > > > > Angel Espinoza > > KETIV Technologies > > > > "Neil W" wrote in message news:41adfd31_3@newsprd01... > > And if the C3D guy had to create a set of plan sheets, then what? Shawnita > > would have quickly blown the C3D user away by the end of the design cycle. > I > > spend far more time detailing plan sheets than design (I do everything > from > > data collection to final plans). Yes Civil3D can do lots of things faster > > than LDT. It is a marvelous advancement that I have been waiting for for > > years. But if you want to look at performance comparisons, you have to > look > > at the whole picture. Not to mention, what would happen if the Civil 3D > user > > grabbed a PI and tweaked it. Then the LDT alignment would be out of sync > and > > you would have a big headache to get everything synchronized and updated > in > > LDT/Civil Design to regen the sheets. It is easy to see how you would end > up > > with a longer design cycle than LDT/Civil Design alone. > > > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > > news:41adf88d$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Just last night, I watched Shawnita Sterret, the QUEEN of LDT, get > dusted > > > in a head to head with a GIS guy that had learned to handle C3D over two > > > days on the phone. He was admittedly comfortable with the concepts, but > he > > > WAS a new user, and was able to beat the pants off of the best Autodesk > > > has. They did a head to head comparison of: > > > Parcel Layout and Labeling > > > Profiling > > > Cross Section vs. Corridor Modeling > > > VA adjustment to get a working dirt number. > > > > > > In every case, Shawnita was a least a few minutes behind, and wouldn't > > > even take the challenge on the last task. This was in front of 500 > people > > > at AU, and if you know Shawnita, you know how fast she makes LDT dance. > > > > > > To be perfectly honest, if you're not at least investigating and > beginning > > > some level of C3D implementation from at least an infrastructure and > > > support side, you're already falling behind your competition. It simply > > > will be the Civil toolset for the foreseeable future. > > > > > > You CAN do a complete project from start to finish in C3D, but it's a > > > limited project application. Most of you know we don't use pipes, I > don't > > > use Sheet Sets in the CD vertical, and we don't do long highways. For > > > subdivision design based on typical alignment/Excel design techniques, > C3D > > > is ready to go. > > > -- > > > James Wedding, P.E. > > > Technology Manager > > > Associate > > > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > > > Dallas, TX > > > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > > > LDT2005+C3D2005 > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 20 of 27
albionpjl

I'd be glad to find lots of good archaeological uses for it (we have found some already), it would help though, if there was a glossary explaining some of the civil engineer type jargon (if there is one I haven't found it mentioned in help). It's a little difficult to know what can be adapted for archaeological landscape reconstruction without knowing what terms such as corridor, grading and parcel mean. And do sections and profiles mean the same thing i know them as (eg a section across a ditch would show all its fills whereas a profile would only show its edge).
(It would also help if autodesk allowed you to install it on a second computer so I could take it home and just play with it until I really understand it, but that's another matter)
Joan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report