Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network share browsing slowness - Civil 3d 2012

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
shomizu9
450 Views, 7 Replies

Network share browsing slowness - Civil 3d 2012

Hello all,

I am a technology consultant with a client using Civil 3D 2012.

They moved from 2008 to 2012, and we've noticed something a bit odd:  browsing network shares from within Autocad's file explorer is significantly slower than doing the same in Windows Explorer.  By "slower", I mean going from directory to directory shows noticeable lag before the directory contents are displayed, whereas in Windows Explorer there isn't any.  They don't recall having this issue with 2008.

All workstations are Windows 7, and the "server" where the shares live is running XP Pro (very small firm with 2-3 people hitting the "server" at any given time - 3 is rare).  I've updated Civil 3d with the latest service pack (2) as of this writing hoping it might resolve the issue, but it doesn't seem to.

I looked around a bit on these discussion boards and Google but couldn't quite find anyone mentioning the same issue or a fix.  Has anyone else run into this or something similar, and been able to resolve it?  I'm no Autodesk expert by any means but I will try to answer any questions/bring any data I can to help resolve the problem.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
wfberry
in reply to: shomizu9

Service Pack 2 for Civil 3D 2012 was just posted.  I would install that first.

Bill

Message 3 of 8
antoniovinci

Check if every client AND the server belong to the same workgroup, maybe it helps.

Message 4 of 8
shomizu9
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks guys.

Bill, I did make sure I had SP2 installed yesterday before giving up and coming here, but it didn't seem to make any difference 😞

Antoniovinci, I double-checked and all computers are part of the same workgroup.  Just for fun, I even changed them all to a different workgroup name, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

What could be different, if anything, about the ACAD file system browser vs Windows Explorer?

I appreciate any further tips/insight.  Thanks again

Message 5 of 8
wfberry

Perhaps, looking in the Support File Search Path (Options -> Files), you may find a directory that has been removed therefore no longer available.

(Notice, "Perhaps")

Bill

Message 6 of 8
shomizu9
in reply to: wfberry

I'll take "perhaps" any day 🙂  Alas, no luck.  All support file search paths exist.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
tmullins

Digital Signatures are enabled is my guess. Seen this a bunch of times.

In Windows run ACSIGNOPT and uncheck the box.

Message 8 of 8
shomizu9
in reply to: tmullins

Thanks tmullins;

No luck - disabling that option and restarting the workstations (*edit:  and server, just to try) didn't make any difference on browsing speed...

Thanks for the help guys...if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to keep trying!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report