AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 1 of 5 (162 Views)
Accepted Solution

negative point level to positive

162 Views, 4 Replies
10-31-2011 03:30 AM

For various reasons I have got a load of site investigation points at negative point levels (representing depth). Is there a quick way of making the negative levels positive so I can create volume surfaces (and then surfaces representing the strata)??

I know I can copy and paste to Excel and reimport but was wondering if anything was built in??

neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610

I've prepared the data for use with the UKIE Borehole importer tool hence the negative values - the boreholes have been created in profile as expected.

I then need to get the depth to the various strata to be positive, so I can create a surface with levels of CLAY as 0.8, 0.75, 1.1 (or whatever) and then create a TIN volume surface using this CLAY as the base surface with EGL as the comparison. By XMLing this surface out and XMLing it back in with one option unticked (see xmlin.jpg) I get the Base of CLAY surface that reflects the undulations in the EGL that can be used for corridors, grading, profile views etc .

As it turned out I just manually retyped the values into prospector as there were only a few of them but essentially what I need is to take each negative level and multiply by -1 so I'd probably just copy and paste to Excel, change to +ve and bring back into a new drawing.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 5 (160 Views)

Re: negative point level to positive

10-31-2011 03:40 AM in reply to: neilyj

Hi,

would this help?

• create first your surface with elevation as they are (< 0)
  • create a second surface by drawing a closed polyline at elevation=0 and define that poly as breakline
  • now you can create a volumesurface between these two surfaces.

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 3 of 5 (146 Views)

10-31-2011 08:46 AM in reply to: neilyj

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you just change the sign it will reverse the surface. Valleys will become peaks. If you just want the surface to be above Zero. Create the surface and then move it up X feet to be above 0. Or move the points that define the surface above 0.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 4 of 5 (141 Views)

10-31-2011 09:06 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

I've prepared the data for use with the UKIE Borehole importer tool hence the negative values - the boreholes have been created in profile as expected.

I then need to get the depth to the various strata to be positive, so I can create a surface with levels of CLAY as 0.8, 0.75, 1.1 (or whatever) and then create a TIN volume surface using this CLAY as the base surface with EGL as the comparison. By XMLing this surface out and XMLing it back in with one option unticked (see xmlin.jpg) I get the Base of CLAY surface that reflects the undulations in the EGL that can be used for corridors, grading, profile views etc .

As it turned out I just manually retyped the values into prospector as there were only a few of them but essentially what I need is to take each negative level and multiply by -1 so I'd probably just copy and paste to Excel, change to +ve and bring back into a new drawing.

neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 240Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 5 of 5 (133 Views)

10-31-2011 10:17 AM in reply to: neilyj

neilyj wrote:

so I'd probably just copy and paste to Excel, change to +ve and bring back into a new drawing.

That would have been my next suggestion.

Allen

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.