Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

negative point level to positive

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
neilyj666
507 Views, 4 Replies

negative point level to positive

For various reasons I have got a load of site investigation points at negative point levels (representing depth). Is there a quick way of making the negative levels positive so I can create volume surfaces (and then surfaces representing the strata)??

I know I can copy and paste to Excel and reimport but was wondering if anything was built in??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi,

would this help?

• create first your surface with elevation as they are (< 0)
  • create a second surface by drawing a closed polyline at elevation=0 and define that poly as breakline
  • now you can create a volumesurface between these two surfaces.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
AllenJessup

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you just change the sign it will reverse the surface. Valleys will become peaks. If you just want the surface to be above Zero. Create the surface and then move it up X feet to be above 0. Or move the points that define the surface above 0.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: AllenJessup

I've prepared the data for use with the UKIE Borehole importer tool hence the negative values - the boreholes have been created in profile as expected.

I then need to get the depth to the various strata to be positive, so I can create a surface with levels of CLAY as 0.8, 0.75, 1.1 (or whatever) and then create a TIN volume surface using this CLAY as the base surface with EGL as the comparison. By XMLing this surface out and XMLing it back in with one option unticked (see xmlin.jpg) I get the Base of CLAY surface that reflects the undulations in the EGL that can be used for corridors, grading, profile views etc .

As it turned out I just manually retyped the values into prospector as there were only a few of them but essentially what I need is to take each negative level and multiply by -1 so I'd probably just copy and paste to Excel, change to +ve and bring back into a new drawing.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 5
AllenJessup

@neilyj666 wrote:

so I'd probably just copy and paste to Excel, change to +ve and bring back into a new drawing.

That would have been my next suggestion.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report