Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to create a shape with a hole in it

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
CivilDavid
10510 Views, 12 Replies

Need to create a shape with a hole in it

I have closed polyline within another closed polyline.  I need to create a shape and I need a hole in it.  See attached pdf for example.  Ignore the dashed and solid grey lines, not sure what those are.

When I select the two polylines, and select treat closed polylines **** polygons, then I export as shapes, I just get two solid shapes, one on top of the other.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jeff_M
in reply to: CivilDavid

Convert the plines to regions, then Subtract the smaller one from the larger one.

Command: REGION

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects: 1 found, 2 total

Select objects:
2 loops extracted.

2 Regions created.

Command:
Command: _subtract Select solids, surfaces, and regions to subtract from ..

Select objects:  Select solids, surfaces, and regions to subtract ..

Select objects:

Command:

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

as long as that are only few POLYLINEs you can start the command MPOLYGON. With this command and the option to choose elements you can select the POLYLINEs and will get a new object containing one outline and as many islands as you selected. This object can then be exported to SHPs.

If you have many objects, you would have to build a map-topology and then export the topology with MAPEXPORT.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 13
CivilDavid
in reply to: Jeff_M

then how do I export that region as a shape?

Message 5 of 13

thanks, this worked great.  I've never used the mpolygon command, I always export shapes through MAP, but now I can create the mpolygons the way I like, then export as polygons.  Thanks!

Message 6 of 13
antoniovinci
in reply to: CivilDavid

> then how do I export that region as a shape?

You can't.

About creating "holed" shapes with MPOLYGON, that's good if you start from scratch.

But if you wanna hole an existing shape having Object_Data (GIS attributes), MPOLYGON will destroy them.

In this case, the solution will be the second one from Alfred: _MAPEXPORT of the topology.

Message 7 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

as long as that are only few POLYLINEs you can start the command MPOLYGON. With this command and the option to choose elements you can select the POLYLINEs and will get a new object containing one outline and as many islands as you selected. This object can then be exported to SHPs.

If you have many objects, you would have to build a map-topology and then export the topology with MAPEXPORT.

HTH, - alfred -

How do I go about building a map topololgy??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 13
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi,

>> How do I go about building a map topololgy??

In one word? _MAPTOPOCREATE,

In one page? look >>>here<<<

BUT don't start the command and think "that's it"!

Try to get training(s) or at least do research around GIS-Topologies and Map3D-Topologies (e.g. >>>here<<<), becaue all data-preparation (MAPCLEAN), the work with object-data, with connected database-tables/views/queries ..and..and..and makes GIS what GIS is and has to be learned.

Have a nice day in Google 😉 , - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred - thanks for the info and links.

I don't use the GIS functionality day in day out but am sure it could speed up certain tasks for me - I just need to find time to learn about it...!!!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 10 of 13
antoniovinci

Neilyj,

I really can't imagine my work in Map/Civil environment without topologies: with them, you make buffers, overlays, create closed polylines, and so on.

Topology is the foundation of every serious GIS job, because it guarantees you only clean and consistent data.

Unfortunately, as said by herr Alfred, to achieve the condition to get a correct topology, you must previously struggle with the _MAPCLEAN command: that's very boring and frustrating, expecially if you have to manage DWGs from other people...

Message 11 of 13
AllenJessup

@neilyj666 wrote:

I don't use the GIS functionality day in day out but am sure it could speed up certain tasks for me - I just need to find time to learn about it...!!!!!

One of the best classes I took was how to use Map in Civil design work!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: antoniovinci

@antoniovinci wrote:

Topology is the foundation of every serious GIS job, because it guarantees you only clean and consistent data.

That makes great sense for GIS jobs. It doesn't work as well when doing Survey and Civil Engineering. Usually I can't let the program decide how to clean up the errors because it doesn't know the rules that govern in Survey and Design. If I have a drawing from an outside source I can us Mapclean to MARK the problem areas.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AllenJessup

I don't know map topologies per se, but maybe what I do is that. I draw my polygons >> mapexport each to its own sdf file>> connect the FDO >> do an overlay and choose subtract one from the other then save the result to its own sdf file = shape with a hole in it.

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report