Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

need help

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
hyun0020
274 Views, 7 Replies

need help

hello whoever is reading this post.

so basically i was ordered to draw a old plan which is around from 1950-60s.

in this old plan there are given dimensions, for example each line has its own bearings and distances.

however, drawing this plan takes forever. so in civil 3d, are there like programs or commands that automatically plots the drawing??

meaning if i copy and paste the pdf or png file into the autocad drawing, will the computer plots the drawing automatically?

thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sboon
in reply to: hyun0020

There are some third party tools which can convert a pdf file into CAD linework, but they're generally not all that effective.  You`re probably better off recreating the drawing from the dimensions on the original.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 8
antoniovinci

hyun0020 wrote:

if i copy and paste the pdf or png file into the autocad drawing, will the computer plots the drawing automatically?

I'd give a try to the free Wintopo, sir.

Message 4 of 8
Joe-Bouza

I have tried some of the PDF to DWG with varying results. One thing I found if the PDF was created by scanning (which is going to be your case) the software only sees an image and cannot break down to vector i.e it will not give you lines etc.

besides if you are entering lines by B& D scanning a radterized pdf to vector is not going to be close to accurate.

Bite the bullet and enter the boundary lines with precision input. I don't know the survey module but you might be able to create an input file and have it drawn that way.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
tcorey

AutoCAD Raster Design, included with various design suites, has semi-automatic raster to vector conversion. Reads most raster formats, but not PDF. Save PDFs as TIF works.

Does a reasonable job if the scan is clean. Has cleanup tools to help with this.

For the once in a while that most people need it, Raster Design is an indispensable tool.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: tcorey

tcorey wrote:
Raster Design is an indispensable tool.

I understand your VAR's approach, Timmy, but technically Wintopo does almost the same for free...

Message 7 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: antoniovinci

I appreciate the condescension, Antonito, but many of the readers here own Autodesk design suites and Raster Design is included therein. I was not trying to get anyone to purchase the software, just letting them know about a tool they already have.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 8 of 8
wfberry
in reply to: tcorey

Tim:

I concur.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Ā 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Ā