Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with subassembly selection (c3d 2012)

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ACADuser
939 Views, 8 Replies

Need help with subassembly selection (c3d 2012)

I have a simple road widening project and am having a difficult time trying to figure out which subassemblies to use. The design calls for widening the road on one side.  The widening vairies in width and is a constant 2% slope (away from the cl) across the new section, a vertical curb and then daylight to existing ground.  I have a main allignment defined at the cl of the existing road from which construction staking will be used, an alignment representing a sawcut at the inside edge of the widened section, an aligment at the outside edge of the widened section.  I have tried the OverlayWidenWithSuper1 without success, and have tried reading through the help but am finding it very confusing as there is no table of contents.

Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

Thanks

ACADuser
Civil 3D 2018, Raster Design 2018
Windows 7 Enterprise
Dell Precision 5810 Workstation
Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4 GB GDDR5
DUAL 27" Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: ACADuser

If you are not matching the existing road cross fall then you can use an offset assembly with outside super set to 2%, curb a daylight attched.

attach the offset the the sawcut and the eop the widen line

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 9
sboon
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe's method will work but there is a potential pitfall to consider.  When you use an offset assembly the software treats that alignment and profile as a semi-independent baseline in the corridor.  This means that any corridor sections built from the offset baseline will be perpendicular to that alignment, not the road centerline.  Some people find that this is an issue if the sawcut line has bends and tapers in it.

Another method which can work is to add a generic LinkOffsetOnSurface from the centerline and target that to your sawcut line.  You can hide this link so that it's invisible in your sections later.  Attach the lane sub to that with a width target.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 9
ACADuser
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

A few questions if you don't mind.

The offset alignment is not parallel to the centerline and also has tapers/bends.  Given this and what you are saying I assume the cross slope of the widened section will not be 2% when measured perpendicular to the centerline.  Is this correct?

How is it that you "hide" the link in the sections?

Thanks

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 5 of 9
ACADuser

Joe,

This works just as expected.  Although I am leaning towards using Steve's method due to the offset alignment not being perpendicular to the centerline.

Any idea why the OverlayWidenWithSuper1 does not work in this situation?  Seems like an appropriate assembly name for the job.

Thanks

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 6 of 9
Joe-Bouza

Thats great!

One thing to consider: when the paving machine is following the sawcut line is the screed perpendicular to the centerline of the sawcut line?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 9
ACADuser

One thing to consider: when the paving machine is following the sawcut line is the screed perpendicular to the centerline of the sawcut line?

Yeah, for sure.  But that just makes for a more complicated design.  No?  I could get away with using your method but when it comes to labels being dynamic, it's much easier to produce consistent labels using the other method.  That translates into a much easier to check/read set of plans.

ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise
Message 8 of 9
sboon

@ACADuser wrote:

Given this and what you are saying I assume the cross slope of the widened section will not be 2% when measured perpendicular to the centerline.  Is this correct?

Yes - with an offset assembly and baseline everything is relative to that baseline, so your design sections would be 2% measured perpendicular to the sawcut line at that location.

@ACADuser wrote:

How is it that you "hide" the link in the sections?

Most of the generic link subassemblies have an option to "hide link" in the properties dialog.  Once that option is turned on the link disappears from the assembly and all corridors where it's used.

@ACADuser wrote:

Any idea why the OverlayWidenWithSuper1 does not work in this situation?  Seems like an appropriate assembly name for the job.

OverlayWidenWithSuper would likely have been my default solution for this scenario.  You didn't elaborate on why you're having trouble with it, but I'm guessing that you're having difficulty with the targets required to make it work.  Try the link below to go directly to the help page for this sub.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCSH/GUID-135FE114-5CAF-42A6-8CCD-C29225E5C29-94.htm

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 9
ACADuser
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

OverlayWidenWithSuper would likely have been my default solution for this scenario.  You didn't elaborate on why you're having trouble with it, but I'm guessing that you're having difficulty with the targets required to make it work.  Try the link below to go directly to the help page for this sub.
The issue I was having with the OverlayWidenWithSuper1 was not targeting, but rather the slope of the section was level rather than -2%.  The solution you provided works great, Thanks :).
ACADuser
Windows 7 Enterprise

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report