Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Conditional Cut or Fill

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
murray-clack
2683 Views, 5 Replies

Need Help with Conditional Cut or Fill

Hi there!  I'm a Twenty-three year veteran of AutoCAD, but am very new to Civil 3D, and I need help with an assembly that may (or may not) need a Conditional Cut to Fill.

My Goal:  At the outside edge of the sidewalk of my road assembly, I want to put in a conditional parameter that when a cut situation exceeds a vertical distance of 12" (0.300m) at a 2:1 slope, then a mini retaining wall is to be placed. And then, from the top of the retaining wall, place a cut or fill daylight sub assembly

I am not sure which daylight subassembly to use (or how many) or when to place the conditional cut or fill (or if I need it at all).

Help?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sboon
in reply to: murray-clack

What you want to do is certainly possible, but there are a few extra steps involved.  The first thing that you need to keep in mind is the logic of the ConditionalCutorFill subassembly:

if "TEST CONDITION" = TRUE then DO the attached subassembly ELSE do NOTHING

Usually this means that you have to have a series of Conditional subs - and make sure that only one of them will be TRUE so that only one of the possible results will actually happen.

For your scenario you first need to attach two ConditionalCutorFill subs to the outside of the sidewalk.  One tests for Cut from 0 to infinity, while the other tests for Fill.  In this case the test point is a different location than the attachment point so you will need an assembly offset.  Use the ACad move command for this, to shift the conditional subs 1' up and 2' out from the sidewalk.

If the CUT test is TRUE then you want to build a retaining wall. You can attach the wall subassembly you wish to use.  Keep in mind that it will build from the test point - not the edge of sidewalk.  To deal with this you will need another assembly offset.  Move the wall sub 1' down and 2' in relative to it's attachment location.

If the FILL test is TRUE then either the wall height is less than 1' or the whole thing is in fill, and you want to apply a daylight subassembly - use whichever one is appropriate.  Again this sub needs to be offset back to the correct location at the edge of sidewalk.

I've attached a sample drawing to show how my version of this assembly works.  I used an OOTB sub for the retaining wall because it automatically ties into EG.  If you want a fixed height wall then it could be created with the MultiLink subassembly.  Make sure that one of the points on this sub is at the correct location to attach a daylight subassembly.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 6
murray-clack
in reply to: sboon

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, lots of great stuff to work from.  However, would it be possible for you to save your TEST.dwg drawing down to 2011?  When I open it, I get proxy entities showing.

Message 4 of 6
sboon

There is no way to save a Civil3D drawing back to a previous version, short of exporting it to ACad.  I can show you what the assembly looks like, and if you follow the steps you should be able to recreate it in 2011.

Capture.JPG

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
murray-clack
in reply to: sboon

Thanks, Steve!

Your help is much appreciated!

Message 6 of 6
sboon

No problem.

If the solution works then please mark this thread as solved so that other users can find it.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report