Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first parking lot EVER so, 2 questions

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
317 Views, 4 Replies

My first parking lot EVER so, 2 questions

Bear with me today a little bit....I'm laying out a parking lot with S/W, curb & gutter, and although I've done a great deal of grading, since I work in water utilities this would be my first parking lot (it's for a pump station) so I have a couple of things that I'm confuzzled about....and I so hate to be confuzzled.

1) how do you do feature lines for both top & bottom surfaces, without them sitting on top of each other, which seems to screw them up?  For example, if a curb goes straight up, you would have a feature line for flowline and one for top of curb.  Right now I offset them just slightly from each other….is that the way to do it?  The only other way I could see to do it would be to put them in different sites….but I'm not sure how that would work…..

2) when I am done laying out all of my feature lines, what is the best way to go about making the new surface?  Would you copy the existing surface and add all of the feature lines as break lines to it to create a finished surface?  Or would you try to do an infill?  Please let me know the best plan of attack.....

Thanks for any help!!  It's appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
doni49
in reply to: Anonymous

1) C3D doesn't like completely vertical surfaces.  So offset the top of curb line by some small amount (I usually use 0.001").  That'll allow it to triangulate the surface.

2) I have feature lines representing the outer boundary and all breaklines within the lot.  I use those featurelines as breaklines in the surface and add points as needed for critical spot elevations.  Then I use a grading object on the outer boundary that seeks the EG surface.  The featureline that generates is the final outer boundary of my proposed surface.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 5
Neilw_05

One of the rules of a TIN is no point on the surface can have more than one elevation, so you cannot have vertical faces or overhangs in a TIN surface. Typically we do as you mentioned, put a slight offset as an approximation for vertical faces.

As to how to manage the surfaces, the recommended approach is to create separate surfaces for your design and merge them into a composite surface which has the original ground pasted in for the base.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 5
AllenJessup

1) Curbs rarely go straight up. They usually have a Batter. Check whatever detail you'll be using for the curbs to determine how much batter you have.

I usually model the bottom of curb and the back of curb at top. That way if you show proposed contours they won't form just a solid line at the face of curb. This will not affect the drainage flow.

2) Create a proposed surface from your Featurelines, Create a copy of your existing surface and paste the proposed surface in to it. Or you could also copy the proposed surface so you'd still have an existing, a proposed and a composite.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

Wow!  Such quick help, you guys are awesome!!  Thanks very much, I'll try your suggestions.  

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out. It's kind of fun laying out this parking lot.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report