Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Windows of the same drawings

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
nikoue
1438 Views, 28 Replies

Multiple Windows of the same drawings

I would like to see multiple Windows support in Civil 3d like in Revit or in Microstation. But i think its an autocad and not Civil 3d feature. Multiple Views in the same window isn't good enough
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
AllenJessup
in reply to: antoniovinci

OK. I mistakenly thought the OP was referring to multiple drawing windows in the same Autocad window. May I ask why multiple windows are superior to multiple views?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 29
dgorsman
in reply to: AllenJessup

- they don't have to exactly make up the dimensions of the host window

- they can be resized by stretching

- they can be indepedantly opened and closed

There's a number of serious technical issues in getting it to work that way though.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 23 of 29
nikoue
in reply to: dgorsman

I agree with dgorsman. And Bentley has also dual screen support. Microstation open with two windows . I haven't seen it yet but that's the answer i got in mstation forums when i asked if i can undock the windows for using in a second screen.

Message 24 of 29
AllenJessup

Thanks. Sounds convenient but since I've never got to use a function like that I don't have a great wish for it. I mostly use MS Viewports to work in 2D and 3D at once or see Plan and Profile at the same time. In a design drawing I usually have the Viewport configuration named. The one in my example was restored by opening the Viewports dialog and selecting the name of the configuration.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 25 of 29
dgorsman
in reply to: nikoue

You better explain further about "dual screen support".  Everybody here (in this office, and I'd wager this board) has dual monitors, and runs Civil3D on both of them.  if you mean, putting drawing windows outside of the application window, thats a *huge* technical undertaking.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 26 of 29
doni49

@dgorsman wrote:

You better explain further about "dual screen support". 

When you turn on "Dual Screen" (found under the User Preferences), MS will create two "application" windows" and you put the second one on your other screen.  No you can't put the tools/views outside of the application windows.  Although if memory serves correctly, you CAN move InRoads (bentley's C3D counterpart which runs on top of MS) outside of the application windows.

Once you've done that, every view has a setting telling MS in which window it should be displayed.

It's been since 12/09 that I've used MS and they've replaced InRoads with OpenRoads in that time so I can't say anything about it.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 27 of 29
nikoue

microstation has a preferences to open two application windows . If you have microstation go to Workspace-Preferences-Operations and check the box "Open two application Windows" Close and restart the program and then it opens with two application windows in with you can place view windows. But what will be the best is an option to putting drawing windows outside of the application window.

Message 28 of 29
AllenJessup
in reply to: nikoue

This is how Civil 3D looks stretched across both my monitors. Maybe not quite as good as 2 windows. But I get the work done with it.

2Screen.png

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 29 of 29
nikoue
in reply to: AllenJessup

One of the things that you can’t do and it’s very important with viewport configuration is to have different layers on or off in each viewport. Also you cannot have at the same time model and layout views. Revit has already this functionality in a better way than microstation , because you can create as many windows as you want. Its a huge must

Does anyone know if 2016 is the year of that?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report