Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple surveys, one Survey Database

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
356 Views, 3 Replies

Multiple surveys, one Survey Database

What is the most expedient way to import multiple sites (surveys) into one Survey database?

Could you import into seperate networks or would you simply import into different point groups?

We are trying to establish multiple surfaces for one project. We are using 2010 & 2012.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
wetsnow13
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have multiple sites/distinct locations of survey in a single drawing where the traverse is not tied together I would use a separate network for each distinct location.  That way you can adjust each location individually to a few GPS points or whatever.  You could also do a separate survey database for each distinct location.  I'm told there are pro's and con's to each.  There are certainly older posts on the forum that debate separate database vs separate networks.

Even if you have one large traverse that would require only one network each location (distinct topo area) should probably have its own surface.  I'm looking at a drawing right now with 8 surfaces.  When establishing surfaces I find it beneficial to create a point group and a boundary line.  Define using the point group, then breaklines and then apply your boundary.  Finish by swapping edges as needed and labeling contours.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I'm leaning toward seperate networks instead of different survey databases simply to keep the number of projects under the Windows directory from exploding. Trying to keep the number of survey databases down to one per project to keep everything under control.

Message 4 of 4
rl_jackson

I would not recomend this, the problem is that you DO NOT have the ablity to rotate or translate individual networks that our in the same database. In fact I never use nextworks unless I use a fieldbook file, which is almost never.

Just create a database for each survey, Typicaly what I do is this.

I create a standard project folder with the Datashortcut folder and other folders that I need.

Then I create a SDB with the same name as the project folder, what this does is create a link (sort of) in the project folder and places the SDB and associated files in the root of the project. Now my project and SDB have the same name and everything stays together.

I guess I should have read you question more though - Just use point groups (i.e. Surface 1 group, Surface 2 group or what ever) Networks are useless IMO

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report