Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Surface Masks for Buildings

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
9214 Views, 12 Replies

Multiple Surface Masks for Buildings

There was no text in my previous text. I was using Windows Explorer 9 Release Candidate, and I think that was the problem. I'm now using a different computer. Anyway...

I have a drawing with an existing surface and contours. I have two buildings on site that I'd like to mask the contours that run through them. I used the mask feature for one of them, but that is the limit. How can I mask the contours so they aren't running through the other building.

Using Civil 3d 2011.

Tom Rope

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
gccdaemon
in reply to: Anonymous

Go to your surface in the toolspace> expand the definition> right click on boundaries and click add> change the type to hide and click o.k.> select the building outlines.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

I just had a similar situation.  We wanted to show contours outside the buildings, but needed spots at garages etc.

In our case boundaries wouldn't work because of the spot elevations.

I ended up making a polyline with a tiny gap between all the buildings.  It worked fine.

Hope that helps,

Conan Witzel

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

After reading my post, I realized I should have been more specific.

I made a polyline around each building and then connected them all with a polyline offset a very short distance to make one closed polyline.

I then applied the mask.  It did "cut" the contours, but isn't noticeable when printing.

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

What about making the building pads part of the surface (FFEl)?  If you have a flat pad, the countours will go around it.  I use building outlines as breaklines all the time.  I can even grade up to the side of a building if there are planters involved.

Reid

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

In my case, we were doing Townhomes where each FFE was different.  This caused the contours to pass between the buildings.  In addition there were patios and drops at the garage.

Contours, in this case were basically distracting.  We did need to place spots however.

The ability to have multiple masks would be great, for cases like this.

Thanks,

Conan Witzel

Message 7 of 13
annw2

I would also like to have multiple surface masks for areas where the surface has ugly contours and I have pretty ones for presentation.  As far as I can tell in 2012, you can only have 1 mask/surface.

Has this been updated in 2013?  Wish list for 2014?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 8 of 13
mathewkol

You can define as many hide boundaries as you wish in any flavour of Civil 3D. Masks, no, hide boundaries, yes.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

In order to show labels and contours wherever i would like regardless of masking, i like to create two surfaces...

Proposed (display off)

Breaklines/Contours/etc.

Perimeter boundary

Proposed Display (display on) (this surface is created as a paste of the surface above)

Hide boundaries for buildings

Show boundaries within' hides (if necessary)

Labels

Contour labels on the "Proposed Display" surface

Spots and slopes on the "Proposed" surface

I only data shortcut reference my "Proposed" surface so there is definition everywhere i would like for site sections and profiles.  When my grading file is xreffed into another dwg I am able to see my ultimate goal of contours/spots/slopes where i want them regardless of where my hide boundaries are.  Examples: FF spots on a hidden building, slope labels on a hidden ramp etc.   

Message 10 of 13
Isaiah3015
in reply to: mathewkol

I have a polyline around an area I want to hide. When I complete the hide task only part of the contours are hidden.  Suggestions?

Communication is the key to our success.
Message 11 of 13
CADangrybird
in reply to: gccdaemon

If I hide it, I can't put spot elevation on top of it. The elevation would show up like ??? which means the hide area has no data. How could I fix that?

Message 12 of 13
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: CADangrybird

the hide boundary removes data inside of it. if you need to show surface elevation inside hide boundary but not contours:

1. make a blank surface (SURF2)

2. paste original surface (SURF1) to it (with the hide boundaries)

3. for SURF2, add the same linework from hide boundaries, this time add them as show boundaries

4. set SURF1 to show contours

5. set SURF2 to no display

6. spot label on SURF2 as required

Message 13 of 13
Isaiah3015
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Thank you!
Communication is the key to our success.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report