Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Section View in Custom UCS

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
516 Views, 15 Replies

Multiple Section View in Custom UCS

Hi!

I has a project where my Custom UCS don't is the Autocad's Original, but when I make Multiple Sections Views, the C3D does it in Autocad's Original UCS. How I make this on my Custom UCS?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry, you can't. C3D never uses anything but World UCS, and you should never use anything else IMHO.

Why do you need this custom UCS? What are you using it for? Perhaps someone here can come up with a different way of achieving your goal, while avoiding the UCS command altogether.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 16
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: troma

Rotate the monitor instead.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 16
troma
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Do you mean like this?

Or like this?

Seriously, I would suggest using DVIEW TWIST.  I have a lisp that automates that along with SNAPANG, and lets you select text, a line, a block or by clicking on screen to set the twist.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Guys,

Here in Brazil we don't use C3D like a aCAD. See, I need to send my drawings in AutoCAD, and not in C3D. My plant don't uses UCS World because is inclined and don't is great to see project in inclined view.

If I make Multiple Sections View in Custom UCS, the Sections View comes with labels aligned with UCS World.

What I doing is exporting 2 times the drawing to aCAD; first with UCS World (for Sections View) and other to plant (with UCS Custom).

PS.: My english don't is great, sorry for this.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 16
troma

Can you explain why it is important to export to acad with the custom UCS?
I would recommend doing all your work in World UCS and export to acad in World UCS. Then finally, when you open the drawing in AutoCAD you can set a DVIEW TWIST so that you can view the drawings aligned to your project view. You can move and rotate the Section Views too after you have exported to acad.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

I never try the DVIEW TWIST... I will try this... Thanks!
Message 8 of 16
troma

Here is the lisp I was talking about.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 16
jmayo-EE

Soory I have to add my 2 cents and admit I would never recommend anyone ignoring the UCS command. It may not work with some C3D commands and at worst you may get unexpected results using a UCS with some C3D commands but UCS's are a powerful tool for hatching, annotating, viewing and drafting. I have never seen file corruption or crashes using a UCS with LDD or C3D. The big secret is just making sure you are in world coors if executing a C3D command. After that anything is possible.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
troma
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John, I'm never opposed to being contradicted. Yet, I am able to hatch, annotate, view and draft without using UCS. What am I missing? Can you give some specific examples?
Using DVIEW TWIST along with SNAPANG and saved views seems to do all we need, and UCS has been deemed too dangerous to use in this office with multiple users sharing drawings. I'm sure it is different if everyone knew exactly what they were doing with it or if you were working on your own in a project.

Mark Green

Message 11 of 16
Joe-Bouza

Lets say you want to use a brick hatch bond patter on 3 sidewalks all at different angles- for me UCS obj is quick to get all the bond patterns running the way of the sw as opposed to changing the hatch angle, fo example. Same for some text anno - particularly Mleader landings. I have that little stubby phillips head screw driver in my tool box that I often write off as useless until I have a screw in a tight spot. There all tools and in the right hands they do the job <G>

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
troma
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks Joe, good to know.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 16
Joe-Bouza

Sure thing

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thank you Joe for picking up the ball I dropped. :0

Sorry I let this slip troma.

A bit more. Dimensions can have text aligned to the plot or object w/o having to set a text angle. If you need to hatch multiple objects a different angles set the ucs to the object, hatch and move to the next. You can also use these tools to help construct acad objects relative to other acad objects again just by selecting a line at your desired angle.

It's a shame UCS's and views can't be ported between files as this would save more time. There are pro's and cons to each methods that vary by workflow. We just like keeping all the plans and labels consistent without anyone having to guess about the angle or object to align stuff to.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
Joe-Bouza

No prob.

I have wblocked vports out to recreate views with success. is that what you mean by ported?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
troma

I guess like Joe says it's a tool for a purpose. Like almost any tool it shouldn't be used carelessly, and it has a sharper edge than many. I still don't think it's the best tool for our purpose, but I'll be a little less strident in my opposition to its use by others!

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report