Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple profiles in one profile view

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
lukas6
6974 Views, 7 Replies

multiple profiles in one profile view

Hello,

hopefully someone can help me out. How can I show 4 profiles in one profile view ? I have 4 sets of asbuilt coordinates for 4 different levels during a construction (original ground, bottom of ditch, top of UG pipe, finished grade) and need to show their in different colours all in one profile view. I know how to create a profile/profile view from an alignment but would appreciate a step by step instruction how to do the above described. Thanks a lot.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: lukas6

Search for create profile from file. Import the profiles and change the styles.

If any of that does not make sense then look through the help tutorials for more information.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 8
lukas6
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Not sure if I am right but since I need to show the stationings I will probably have to go with the profile created from an alignment. So my question still stands - how to put more profiles (created from an alignment) into one profile view ? Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
Jay_B

Once the profiles belonging to the same parent alignment have been created, just create a Profile View and when prompted for "Profile Display Options" be sure to toggle the display of all desired profiles to be displayed.

If you already have a profile view the profiles will be automatically drawn/available in the profile view.

Display of the multiple profiles in a given profile view can be managed here:

Profile View Properties > Profiles Tab.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 8
jeff_rivers

So when you say you have "asbuilt coordinates" I understand that to mean that you don't have a basemap with surfaces for the four different profiles you need to show, but rather, you have something like a table of elevations for each of the profiles.

So for your bottom of ditch, you have a table listing elevation shots along some interval, such as every 10-feet. Am I guessing correctly?

If so, then the advice given is brief, but correct. Follow the help file for "Import profile from file" and create a .txt file with the as-built data for each of the profiles you need to create.

Before importing them, you will still need to create at least one alignment and one profile view, as I'm sure you know you can't create a profile or a profile view without an alignment.

So if I understand your situation, the steps would be:

1. Create an alignment along your ditch- I assume you have a basemap with enough data that you can use for doing this - ditch flowline alignment, or a corridor featureline, or something.

2. Create a profile view along that alignment, and when you do so it will be empty if you don't sample a surface (you didn't say if you have an EG to sample or not so I can't say exactly what to do here).

3. Set the profile view elevations to something reasonable that will capture the profiles you need to show. You should see an empty profile grid (except if you did sample EG, then you'll see EG).

4. Import your ditch, pipe, EG, and FG data files one at a time using "Import profile from file". Expect to get this wrong at least once. Every time I use a Civil 3D import-from-file function I get some formatting error until I get the .txt file exactly right.

5. Create a unique profile style for each of the profiles shown. Adjust the profile view elevations & stationing to show the desired profiles.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 6 of 8
lukas6
in reply to: jeff_rivers

Thank you very much gentlemen. Hopefully I'll be able to do it now. 

Message 7 of 8
lukas6
in reply to: Jay_B

one more quick question - how do I show labels with stationing and elevation in the profile view for the points defining the profile (the PVI's) ? Thanks

Message 8 of 8
lukas6

figured it out, thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report