Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple profile views

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
wbrustle
879 Views, 4 Replies

multiple profile views

I have a profile set up for about 1500 feet of a road alignment, and I now need to create multiple viewports for plotting purposes. The profile is going to be needing more editing, but sheets need to be set up now. If I go ahead and create 4 profile views, and then need to project an object to the profile or the road alignment changes, do I need to project these objects etc., into each individual profile view, or if I revise the alignment will it automatically update all views? Are these views linked to one another? I just want to make sure that everything updates globally....thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mfernandes
in reply to: wbrustle

"need to create multiple viewports"

I am assuming you are using the plan production tools i.e. creating view frames and sheets.

if each of your  planprofile sheets is using a profile view that the wizard creates,

because the design profile is data referenced any change to the design will be reflected in all of your drawings.

However, you also mentioned "need to project an object to the profile" doing this in your main drawing's profile view will have no impact on the sheets already created. I haven't confirmed this but you can test it.

But if in your planprofile sheets you utilized the xref profile view instead of the profile view than yes in your profile view you will see all the changes.

hope this all makes sense.

just a suggestion, I would run some simple test to see if you have the correct workflow for your application.

generate a couple of plan profiles, make changes to the design drawing and check if the changes are applied to the plan profiles.

Message 3 of 5
wbrustle
in reply to: mfernandes

I have not used the plan production for anything, so I will have to test out what you suggested..... I created my profile views, and all my pipe networks etc. copied over to all of the new views, but I had a waterline on the original profile that I had to create by using a feature line that was projected over to the profile, and that line is not showing up on my new viewports. I have never had training, so I am not sure if this is the correct way to create a water line, but that is how I did it....do I need to project that line again to each new profile?

Message 4 of 5
mfernandes

To answer your question, You will have to project your feature line onto each of the different C3D profile views.

Civil 3D does have tools for creating pressure pipes and for the most part is a good tool....not great, only because it is lacking in real world  layout functionality. However if you establish a workflow it may work for you.

Yes it is simpler to just create a feature line and project or simply draft the water line in your profile view by dropping a copy of the design ground to the required depth, to denote water line.

finally, you will be further ahead if you took a C3D class, not so much to learn the points and clicks, but on how to manage the data created by C3D and to also establish proper best practices workflow. I find this more interesting than teaching just the point and clicks.

Contact your local reseller.

Autodesk Youtube also has a lot of usefully resources or the general Youtube channel, but you will have to sift through the good ones and bad....the curse of the internet.

happy hunting and good luck.

Message 5 of 5
Pointdump

"...establish proper best practices workflow."

The Help Section has a wonderful Best Practices Section. A good place to nose around.

Best_Practices.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report