Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multileaders in Dview Twisted Viewport - rotation problem

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
zootango
17000 Views, 45 Replies

Multileaders in Dview Twisted Viewport - rotation problem

When I create a viewport of my model, and go into my viewport and do a Dview Twist of say 90 degrees, when I use the multileader command while I'm inside the viewport my leaders and text come in vertical instead of horizontal.

How do you get your multileaders to come in horizontal when your leadering inside a dview twisted viewport???

45 REPLIES 45
Message 2 of 46
murray-clack
in reply to: zootango

Is the cursor inside the Viewport parallel to your screen?  (where X is horiznal, and Y is vertical) You may have to se the UCS to the same orientation as the viewport

With your cursor inside your viewport... 

UCS (enter)

V (enter)

Message 3 of 46
zootango
in reply to: murray-clack

Thanks Murray - That did it!

Message 4 of 46
pmascaro

Rotating the UCS is not an acceptable solution for anyone in Map 3D or Civil 3D as we work in WCS and rotating UCS changes our coordinates. Not haveing an option to rotate the landing while creating a multileader and/or alowing it to rotate by view rather then UCS is a major setback. I thought Autodesk would have resolved this by (R) 2014. Can you please fix this and/or bump this up on the wish list!!

Thanks,

Paul

Message 5 of 46
troma
in reply to: pmascaro

Have a look at this thread, from this post to the end.

It doesn't work for me, but it does for him.  Look at the video and compare with what happens for you.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 46
pmascaro

What in the world.... It doesn’t work like that for me either. I'm not sure what it's doing there w/ the UCS, but it looks like it works... I'm not sure why MLeader would have to temporarily change the UCS to make the landing straight, but I can see that as being some sort of work around in the code to get to the end result.... Wish it worked around in my version of CAD…

I'm running C3D (R) 2014 and I've had this problem in C3D for years.... I wonder if he is running Vanilla AutoCAD

Message 7 of 46
pmascaro

I've submitted an "Ideas & Suggestions" Support request for this. We'll see where it goes...

""

Hi,

There has been a major issue (oversight) with landing rotations on Multi-Leaders since they were introduce. The landing stays true to UCS, even when a drawing is in a DView / Twist. This is a major problem for anyone working in a WCS w/ the View Twisted. The only way to rotate the landing is in the properties manger after you've placed the Mulit-Leader.

The Mult-Leader command should have a step for settings and you should be allowed to select View (DView, Not UCS) or Set Rotations (to set a rotation) and it should keep this as the default for next time unless S for Settings is invoked again.

Rotating the UCS is not an acceptable solution for anyone in Map 3D or Civil 3D as we work in WCS and rotating UCS changes our coordinates. Not haveing an option to rotate the landing while creating a multileader and/or alowing it to rotate by view rather then UCS is a major setback. I thought Autodesk would have resolved this by (R) 2014. Can you please fix this and/or bump this up on the wish list!!

The problem becomes compounded when annotative is turned on as people copy pre-rotated leaders rather then generating a new leader because of the extra steps involved in rotating the landing... This leads to annotative leaders that are misaligned at certain scales.

If someone from Autodesk could also respond in the forum, that would be great too.

""

Message 8 of 46
murray-clack

Paul,

I have no problems whatsoever with MLeaders working to the current UCS, and I too use Civil 3D.

Within the Viewport, I set the UCS to "View" and then create my text.  If I need to Import or Export something that depends on "real world" coordinates, I simply set the UCS back to "real world" first.

Message 9 of 46
pmascaro
in reply to: murray-clack

Hi,

Unfortunately, I feel that is risky practice to say the least and not compatable with my departments work environment. I have a policy in place that restricts the rotation of the UCS on projects for any reason. Rotating the UCS can lead to detrimental consequences throughout the project and for deliverables that require your site to be in State Plane Coordinates.

You should NEVER have to rotate your UCS in Civil 3D  and/or Map 3D for any reason. Especially not for leader landings...

Also, Users should work in Model Space, not through view ports... If you match UCS rotation in the viewport and model space is not rotated, then your leaders are only rotated in the Paper Space View and not in modelspace.

Message 10 of 46
pmascaro

if you are saying that i can leave my rotation true to North and just set my rotation setting to view even though no rotation is not roated, that might work... I'll test it out.

Even so... This is still an oversight and there should be more options with the command and you should not have to change the setting from WCS to View...

Thanks,

Paul

Message 11 of 46
murray-clack

We don't have any problems in my office.  Anyone with a half-decent working knowledge of AutoCAD / Civil 3D will realize that if the cursor is parallel to the viewport [in a civil drawing] you can automatically assume the UCS has changed within the viewport.  Also, keeping your UCS icon turned ON helps too.

If I switch to tiled Modelspace, typicaly the UCS is set to "World" 99.9999% of the time, it's only when working through a Layout tab Viewport that each viewport may have an independant UCS [for whatever reason].

I WILL say that I usually DON'T put most annotation objects in Modelspace for the simple reason that it may look fine in one viewport, but may look twisted in another viewport that is overlapping at an different view angle.  I usually put my annotations like MLeaders in the Layout, but things that are being dimensioned will have dimension objects in modelspace (i.e. dimension objects through the viewport with UCS set to "view").

Message 12 of 46
MarySeufert

pmascaro wrote:   I have a policy in place that restricts the rotation of the UCS on projects for any reason. Rotating the UCS can lead to detrimental consequences throughout the project and for deliverables that require your site to be in State Plane Coordinates.

You should NEVER have to rotate your UCS in Civil 3D  and/or Map 3D for any reason. Especially not for leader landings...

This is your opinion. Everyone has different methods for using the tools that Autodesk has created. NEVER should never be used IMHO.Smiley Surprised

Back in the day, DVIEW/Twist actually caused errors and crashed our systems, so it was on the don't use that list. Things change, always adapt and overcome. Please don't prohibit a practice because you've been told there is only one way. It might just work better if you let it. Plenty of people use UCS over DVIEW in C3D. I do every day, in fact I never use DVIEW. Being aware of UCS vs WCS is the only thing you have to teach, then it is no longer a detriment, but advantageous.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 13 of 46
pmascaro
in reply to: MarySeufert

Sorry, but I believe my comments were taken out of context as they are not an opinion. Sorry for the confusion. If you can rotate landings in the properties menu, then the ability is there, but it was never added to the command. I would like to request that it be added to the command for people that do not rotate the UCS.

I'm not sure how/why this thread turned into a working method thread and while I appreciate's everyones working methods and or workarounds. This thread is about fixing the ability to use mulit-leaders for drawings that utalize the DView/Twist. I think we have headed off topic....

What I stated was that "You should NEVER Have To rotate the UCS" in order to use Multi-Leaders. I did not say that you should NEVER rotate the UCS... That is simply my departments policy based on our working methods, project setup and type of deliverables and daily interactions with other mapping & database groups within the company. If I could find a lisp that set all drawings back to WCS on open, I would consider using UCS set to View...

If your work environment calls for rotating the UCS then that is obviously the best practice for your CAD/Design Group and/or Groups... It is not currently compatible with my project environment, so I would like to request that the multi-leader command be updated to be compatible with my environment...

Message 14 of 46
MarySeufert

@pmascaro wrote:

I'm not sure how/why this thread turned into a working method thread and while I appreciate's everyones working methods and or workarounds. This thread is about fixing the ability to use mulit-leaders for drawings that utalize the DView/Twist. I think we have headed off topic....

The OP had their question solved in reply #2. You choose not to use the solution/workaround, and that is your prerogative. I added my two cents, because I've seen to much of the 'my way or highway' in regards to UCS vs DVIEW. Keep on shouting to Autodesk, but I doubt it will change. They won't fix something that truely isn't broken, it works as designed. Harsh but true.

pmascaro wrote: If I could find a lisp that set all drawings back to WCS on open, I would consider using UCS set to View... 

This can be done. Look into adding it to your acaddoc.lsp. http://www.cad-notes.com/automatically-execute-command-when-opencreate-new-file/

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 15 of 46
EDTROUT

Isn't there a way to create your leaders to work annotatively, so that when they appear horizontal regardless of the viewport twist?
Message 16 of 46
EDTROUT
in reply to: EDTROUT

I'm a registered land surveyor and civil designer and I can tell you that we don't rotate our UCS. None of the other solutions will work for a topo that you get and use to design over. If you have intersecting streets that must be profiled horizontal with the sheet you can't have all your text going up down and ever which way. There should really be a better solution than trying to rotate coordinates. The text should be annotative to the point that it rotates with the viewport without duplicating it when it appears in the cross street's viewport or making extra n/s e/w layers..
Message 17 of 46
Stormshadowixi

@EDTROUT wrote:
I'm a registered land surveyor and civil designer and I can tell you that we don't rotate our UCS. None of the other solutions will work for a topo that you get and use to design over. If you have intersecting streets that must be profiled horizontal with the sheet you can't have all your text going up down and ever which way. There should really be a better solution than trying to rotate coordinates. The text should be annotative to the point that it rotates with the viewport without duplicating it when it appears in the cross street's viewport or making extra n/s e/w layers..

You can rotate the view, and leave the UCS uneffected.  To keep UCS at true north, but be able to rotate your screen try typing in the command "DV" hit enter, then select some linework and/or text on the screen *it does  not matter what you highlight, as long as you highlight something*, then type in "TW" for Twist, input the degrees that you want to have the view shown at *this value seems to change, and I have not taken the time to figure out exactly what makes it change, but play around with it.* .  Once you have put in the angle, hit enter to lock it in, and your view will be rotated, yet the UCS will remain true *to world*.  If you want to undo the twist, just go through the same steps, and when you type in the degrees that you want the view to be, put in 0, and hit Enter.

This is something I use all the time, and will help a lot of people to figure out.  Hope it helps!

Bryan

Microstation / AutoCAD / Civil 3D - Designer 

Message 18 of 46
EDTROUT
in reply to: Stormshadowixi

Yessir, been using dview twist for years, and it works like a charm. The problem is that the text doesn't rotate with the view, hence the title of the post. "Multileaders in Dview Twisted Viewport - rotation problem"

I wish autodesk would make multileader text that would behave like annotative dimensioning, that is, have a spare piece of text that can be rotated,  manipulated,  and moved around without creating another piece of text with a different layer.

🙂

Message 19 of 46
murray-clack

Message 20 of 46
csevers

Only solution I've found is to rotate your mleader using the properties dialogue. However, each differently rotated view will need it's own leaders. I also only use DVIEW twist to avoid messing up my coordinates using MVSETUP. It's just too risky to have to spin the UCS everytime I want to do annotation then spin it back to plot.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report