Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multigrading problem

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
novais
648 Views, 13 Replies

Multigrading problem

hello, 

I'm trying to grade using platforms with 2 meters large for every 10 meters high with a 0.333:1 cut slope, but i really don't know the best way because each platform has 2 types of grading, one is 'grade to surface'  that reaches to my EG surface and another is 'grade to relative elevation' where i grade another 10 meteres high with a cut slope, but, i'm having trouble when trying to conect those two grades on the same level platform.

You can see in this picture,  the green line represents my problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
novais
in reply to: novais

Basically, to solve the problem, i'm trying to, with 1 feature line, grade one portion to the EG surface and the other to a preset elevation, but i can't join them ou make a transition. 

Anyone?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 14
Joe-Bouza

I have looked at your post 3 times and still cannot figure out what it is you are trying to do , and I am not getting it from your screen grab.

Can you give more expplnationl? I see 93 othes gve a look too andcame up emty, as well

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
novais
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I'll try to simplify my problem,

I need to replicate an excavation site from my screen grab, wich is an autocad draw.

I need to grade my platform  from  level 223.00 until it reaches my EG surface with a 0.2:1 cut slope, but for each 10 meters that rises i need a platform with 2 meter large, and the process repeats again until it reaches my EG surface.

So i think i need for each platform, to grade until surface, and then  grade to elevation (+ 10m), but i really don't know the best way to do it, and make the two grades conected.

I remake my screen grab to make it more clear (i hope), and again, thanks.

Message 5 of 14
Joe-Bouza

connect your gradings with Feature line and use the infill command. It is'nt only for pond bottoms Smiley Wink

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
Neilw_05

From your description it sounds like you are wanting to use "benching". Gradings are not capable of automatic benching so it will be a manual/iterative process to do it with gradings.

Corridor assemblies can automate the process if you are open to considering that approach.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 14
novais

Thanks for the suport, in fact i didn't know the techical word for the procedure: 'benching' 🙂 (I'm from Portugal).

In fact, doing an infill was my first aproach to the problem, but, because i'm not used to do this, i thought there were a more automatic methods. 

Can i first grade to surface the entire lenght  and then cut the generated grading with a feature line on the elevation i pretend, do the 2 meters offset dor benching and so on? or it's just a silly idea?

Message 8 of 14
Neilw_05

As far as I know, if you lay a featureline onto a grading it will acquire the elevations of the grading since gradings have precedence over featurelines. In other words you can't influence a grading with a featureline.

If I was committed to using gradings, what I would do in that scenario is to start out with a grading from your top edge using the existing ground surface as a target. Then add the benching to the grading as needed by inserting a relative target to each tier.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

Not sure I totally understand the context but I like Neils first reply. This type of the thing I would do with and alignment at the base (assuming you are working from bottom up), profile (fudge an fg on the eg), and create the automated daylight assembly. Whiz bang done....

Message 10 of 14
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

...but better watch out for sharp corners if going down the corridor route as they will mess up things

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 11 of 14
Joe-Bouza

There is an option to grade to relative elevation:

start at 233, up 10, bench, up 10, blah blah blah... daylight

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
novais

Joe, don't forget that the left part of the grading hits the EG, so i can't just do a grade to relative elevation.

Like you said before, i could create one grading to surface and another to relative elevation, and do an infill between using feature lines.

And i'll try also the corridor aproach to figure if it's more practical and easy.

Message 13 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Yes that is true. But my thinking was that you know where the left edge is once the benching is done  and would include it in your infill as a FL

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
novais

I have also tried the corridor solution with an benching assembly, wich is a more automatic way to calculate the EG intersections and continuing the benching, then i extracted the features lines to add to my grading group.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report