Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MrSid Raster Issue

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
jmcpherson1982
3598 Views, 15 Replies

MrSid Raster Issue

Icould not find a recent post so here it is.  I have recently acquired a copy of our MrSid Aerial of the Alabama Campus(file size 1GB). No matter which insertion method I try(data connection or mapiinsert), I get an uhandled access error. Am I missing something is there still an enabler or some other attachment needed to make this work?

Justin
Dell T1600 Workstation
Windows 7 x64
Intel Xeon E31280 @ 3.50 GHz
24 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Civil3D 2013
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Insert (Tab) Image (on ribbon)

or use Raster design

Jim

Matrix Surveys

Message 3 of 16

You shouldn't need any enabler to be able to bring in a sid file any longer. Just to test, I have a .sid file of a piece of the City of Denver that is just under 1.5 GB and it brought it in without issue (and really fast too). I used the MAPIINSERT command (note there are two i's in that command).

I also just tried the FDO method without issue as well. Perhaps it's something with the image? Have you tried other images? Are you sure you have assigned an appropriate coordinate system to your drawing? Does this happen on other computers? In other drawings? etc.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 16
antoniovinci
in reply to: BrianHailey

BrianHailey wrote:

Are you sure you have assigned an appropriate coordinate system to your drawing?

It doesn't matter, sir: the command _MAPIINSERT loads georeferenced imagery in the right position, even if no CRS was assigned with _ADESETCRDSYS.

Message 5 of 16

The Insert Image is one of the functions that is causing a crash. Currently waiting on our CAD Tech to get back from lunch and install Raster Design.

Justin
Dell T1600 Workstation
Windows 7 x64
24 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Civil3D 2013
Message 6 of 16

I am the only Civil3D operator in today so I can't test another computer. It crashes in all drawings. This is the first and only SID file I have had the chance to try, last year I was given our Aerial in 16 TIFF files which made it extraordinarily cumbersome but it worked. The FDO connection works fine right up unitil you try to add it to the Map then it crashes. The image is setup in a local DB on my computer for use in ESRI and it works fine. Is there a way to connect to this database even though it's not on a server?

Justin
Dell T1600 Workstation
Windows 7 x64
24 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Civil3D 2013
Message 7 of 16

I have installed Raster Design and it STILL crashes anytime I try to load this SID file. I was also able to try it on one of my co workers machines, and it crashed on his as well.

Is there somewhere online I could possibly get a sample SID file or software to create one from something I have so I can test another file?

Justin
Dell T1600 Workstation
Windows 7 x64
24 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Civil3D 2013
Message 8 of 16
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmcpherson1982

Lizardtech.com has a utility that will allow you to extract the tiff image from the sid file. I think you can also get a world file so the tif is georefe'd.

I wonder if the imbedded tif format is supported on the Autodesk side. Some are not in 2012 and previous versions. Not sure about 13.

http://www.lizardtech.com/downloads/category/#tools__utilities

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 16

I think the best thing to do is try it on a different computer. If it crashes there, I would look at the file or your network. If it works fine, then that would point to your computer. You could always try a repair install. It shouldn't mess up any customizing you've done and is really easy to do.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 16

jmcpherson1982 wrote:

Is there somewhere online I could possibly get a sample SID file or software to create one from something I have so I can test another file?

With this tool, you can easily convert your .SID file into Geotiff: if even the latter doesn't work, so I guess that .SID is damaged...

Message 11 of 16
jmayo-EE

Plenty of test files out there. Here's NJ.

https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/IW.jsp?DLayer=NJ 1995 DOQQs

Paste the whole string not just the blue text.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 16

@jmcpherson1982 wrote:

City and county of Denver has some available. You need to request access but it's an automated reply system. 

http://www.denvergov.org/GIS/ProductsandServices/DataSales/tabid/387714/Default.aspx 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 13 of 16
shunter62

Images with multiple geo-referenced formats (including MrSids) are also available at rgis.unm.edu. This site is easy to access.

Some MrSid images get corrupted, so check the world file.

Message 14 of 16
MATRIX3DSURVEYS
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Here is a link to the USGS County Mosaic Site

https://my.usgs.gov/Public/NSDIPartnershipOffice/

That error mesage indicates a damaged *.dll to me I would do a repair / clean install if you can't get images from another source to open.  The other problem maybe with avalable memory. Or missing MS Jet and Net Framework files.

I have had up to 10 GB of sids active with no problems. But that is on a Seismic imaging workstation

Jim

Civil3D 2013 / Raster Design

SuperMicro Dual Xeon Workstation

32 GB Ram

Vista 64 pro

Message 15 of 16

Reviving my own thread but I have come across a new possibility. This *.sid file is a 4 band image(it contains that 4th near infared band). About a month ago I remember reading something about AutoCAD not liking that 4th band. Could this be the problem, and if so is there software that I could use to remove the 4th band and have just a 3 band *.sid?

Justin
Dell T1600 Workstation
Windows 7 x64
24 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Civil3D 2013
Message 16 of 16
doni49

I'd try asking LizardTech's tech support.

http://www.lizardtech.com/support/contact-support/

They might very well have some info on that.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report