Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPolygon select caushes crash/fatal error

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
aflewelling
1784 Views, 27 Replies

MPolygon select caushes crash/fatal error

Working in Civil 3D 2011 with service pack 1 on Windows 7:

Selecting an Mpolygon causes the program to crash almost immediately.   This is occuring with mpolygons created in 2009 and opened in 2011, as well as mpolygons created from scratch in 2011.  This crash also occurs in Map 3D 2011.

Anyone have experience with this?  It seems like a fundamental program bug, but I cannot find any mention of it on the boards or on the knowledge bases.  Thanks,

-Anton

Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
Tags (1)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
hgohel
in reply to: aflewelling

Hi Anton,

We are aware of this defect.  Unfortunately this has been extremely difficult to reproduce and in cases where we have found it, it often does not persist.  That said, let me ask you a couple of questions and then offer a couple of suggestions:

a. Can you repeat the problem consistently, even after a reboot of your system?

b. Did the crash issue start occurring after an event such as installing an update of Autodesk and/or other software?

What you can do to try and resolve the issue:

a. Reboot your system.  If that doesn't get rid of the crashes

b. Repair you Civil 3D install and if that doesn't resolve it, then

b. Disable ROLLOVERTIPS

Any information you can provide us to be able to understand the issue further would be appreciated.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 28
Jeff_M
in reply to: hgohel

Himanshu, I can duplicate this. C3D2011 x64, SP1, Win7 Pro. This install is just a month old and rarely used. When I first tested, using both C3D2011 and "Autocad 2011", just the act of creating the first polygon and letting it Close would trigger a FE. Rebooting did not help. I turned off the rollovertips, I then could create any number of polygons. However, upon selecting one, boom, FE.

I've disabled any 3rd party apps without any effect. Used acad.dwt, ncs*.dwt's, and my own dwt, same results.

If I initiate a command and THEN select the polygons, no crash. Only when preselecting do I get the crash.

Hope that helps....

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 28

Jeff, can you please post your Tune Log from the 3DCONFIG command? You can refer to the screenshot below for more information:

http://www.screencast.com/t/RBnvWHTwivG

I'm investigating the possibility that this issue is related to video hardware, moreso than the grip editing issue currently open with development.

Chris Bielanski
Autodesk Support Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 28
aflewelling
in reply to: Jeff_M

Okay, here's my breakdown so far. I've been working with someone at Autodesk on this issue, but I'll post what I've learned so far.

On my computer (C3d 2011 64 bit sp1, Win7 64bit Pro, 2.8 Ghz, 6 Gb RAM, Nvidia GeoForce GTX 285 w/ 4 Gig RAM with the January 2011 video driver installed), the problem is easily repeated, even after reboots.  The only "extra" app running with my Civil 3D is Raster Design 2011, but this issue occurs with Raster initialized or not.

Logging onto my computer with a different username creates the same crash.

Using stock dwts/profiles/etc causes same issue, as does custom ones.

I tested this on two colleagues computers with their login info.  One computer running Win7 64 bit version, the other running XP 32 bit version.  BOTH computers do not crash, but exhibit a different type of bug.  Mpolygons can be selected, but only some of the grips respond to the stretch action, the rest stay static (locked in space).  I was told Autodesk knows about this bug and is working on it.  At least their computers don't crash like mine.  We interface with GIS a lot (import shapefiles to mpolygon), and MOST of the time I never have a need to actually edit the mpolygons and just need to manipulate their pattern.  Crashing upon selection makes this somewhat impossible.

I COULD import shapefiles as lines and not mpolygons, but that would require me to manually hatch everything (bummer).  Also, my biggest problem right now is working with dwg files created in 2009 that already have Mpolygons in them, and if I want to move forward I'm forced to explode them, and rebuild them as hatched polylines.  Too time consuming for a dense set of mpolygon data.

Oh, and yes, this crash only happens with pre-selection.  Selecting the mpolygons using the "explode" command, for example, is successful. 

Currently, my autodesk rep is reviewing my tune log from my 3DCONFIG setup.  He suspects there may be an issue within.  He gives me the idea that this problem is sketchy and not easy to get their hands on, so I thought I'd post as much info as I can.

I'm currently rolling back the video drivers to the ones listed as "tested" on the Autodesk site under Utilites and Drivers.  I don't expect this to work, but will do so just to rule it out.  When I get some free time, I'll probably swap out my video card with a different one from another computer -- preferably from a computer that exhibits the "un-stretchable grips but no crashing" symptom.

thanks for any input!

-Anton

Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
Message 6 of 28

@ADSK_ChrisBielanski wrote:

Jeff, can you please post your Tune Log from the 3DCONFIG command? 

Sure thing!

I know this is an unsupported card/driver. It's a brand new machine with all new stuff....and, it's a laptop so switching out the video is not an option.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 28

Thanks, Jeff.  That's pretty much what I expected. Hopefully the data will help development shake it out.

Chris Bielanski
Autodesk Support Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 28

WOW!

after reading this, I did a test myself and it blow up upon the close of the Mploy command.

i7-930 with 6gb Win7x64, 2xGTS250-1gbs (not supported, however works fine) C3D11sp1

Rick

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 28
hgohel
in reply to: rl_jackson

For everyone who's running into this problem, the workaround is to turn off rollover tips by typing in ROLLOVERTIPS and setting the value to 0, or going into OPTIONS > Display tab and turning off the the checkbox next to "Show rollover ToolTips."

We have logged defect 1365692 and are investigating for a fix in a future release.  Thank you for your helpful reports.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 28
aflewelling

Just wanted to let everyone know that turning off rollover tooltips, or all tooltips for that matter, does not help.  The program still crashes upon selection of an Mpolygon.

Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
Message 11 of 28
hgohel

aflewelling,

There may be multiple issues being discussed in this thread.  We have verified a crash on selecting (or almost selecting) an MPOLYGON and verified that the crash is avoided by turning off rollovertips in Civil 3D.

For your crash, have you submitted CERs?  If so, can you tell me the email address you used?  I'd like to examine them to see if you are running into the same issue that we have reproduced, or some other crash.  If you're running into a different problem we can investigate that.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 28
aflewelling

sure, I just sent one a minute ago.

I used the address aflewelling *AT* taylorengineering *DOT* com

Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
Message 13 of 28
hgohel

Thank your for that detail.  It seems you have OPM or QUICKPROPS enabled, which results in the same crash as ROLLOVERTIPS.  In case of ROLLOVERTIPS the crash occurs as soon as you hover over the MPolygon.  In case of OPM or QUICKPROPS it happens upon (or right after) selection.  So the full workaround is to turn off ROLLOVERTIPS, QUICKPROPS and OPM while working with MPolygon objects.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 14 of 28
aflewelling

aha!!!!  Yes, brilliant.  I turned off quickproperties AND the Properties dialog box, and I could draw and then select the Mpolygon without Civil3D crashing.  Whew.  thanks for the help on that.

At least now I can select Mpolygons from legacy drawings without it crashing.

the problem is, without a properties dialog I am unable to change the pattern of the Mpolygons, which is really the only reason we use them in the first place.  I'm just glad we were able to figure out why the crashing occurs.  Thanks again.

-Anton

Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
Message 15 of 28
Murph_Map

See if the _POLYDISPLAY command or MPFILL commands help on that.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 16 of 28
matt.n
in reply to: Murph_Map

This was driving me insane, thank you!

I started my erase command prior to selecting and erased them all from my drawings.  Disabling tooltips and property windows isn't really an option for me.  Disabling features isn't a solution, it's a poor workaround.

I'd like to see a real fix for this however, I've been encountering this issue for about 2 years that I can remember, to the point of which I've stopped submitting the error reports when it happens, just wastes more of my time!

Message 17 of 28
aflewelling

UPDATE:

Not sure why, but ever since I update my computer to the Windows 7 Service Pack 1, I am now able to select Mpolygons and modify their properties.  I have both the QuickProperties AND the regular Properties boxes open, and I am able to select and change the pattern types of Mpolygons in my drawing.  Pretty cool.  I have made no other changes to my computer since the inital crashes occured.

There's still the issue of the "dead" or un-stretchable grips, but that's not too big a deal.

-Anton

Anton Flewelling
CAD Manager
Message 18 of 28
matt.n

SP1 didn't do much for me.

Message 19 of 28
rkmcswain

Interesting. This happened to me a few months ago (I thought I posted in this thread?) and eventually found the ROLLOVERTIPS thing which solved it for me.

Then today it happened for someone else - and of course I couldn't remember the "workaround" (until I found this thread) -- but before going back and trying it out on his machine, I set ROLLOVERTIPS = 1 on my machine and now I can't GET mine to crash....

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 20 of 28
eric_apostol

Hi Himanshu,

Just to add more info about this as I also experiencing this problem.

I notice when I select mpolygon with the Property Dialog Box open, cad tends to shutdown/fatal error. But if the Property Dialog box is off, I can select and edit the mpolygon.

I tried turning disabling the ROLLOVERTIPS but still the same result on these two cases.

FYI.

Cheers,

Eric

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report