Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Survey Points Results in Lost Elevations

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
wooly23
905 Views, 5 Replies

Moving Survey Points Results in Lost Elevations

Hi all,

I am having an issue In Civil 3D 2013, where I align a survey with old survey data.  I would preferably setup over a bench mark or monument while doing my survey, but sometimes you have to work without one and adapt to the situation.

So, whenever I try to move my points and surface they default to an elevation anywhere from -2m to 4m, I reference back to my survey data and raise the points by the difference and all my points are matching the original survey data.  As soon as I try to rebuild my surface (assuming that will rebuild it with the proper elevations) - My surface will create some holes and not update with the proper point elevations.  My points will read the correct elevation ~625m-645m, but my surface will rebuild as a negative or very close to zero elevation.

I am stumped on this one, and wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or am I just missing something?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
KirkNoonan
in reply to: wooly23

Are you moving the points with the move command? If so, you probably want to turn your OSNAPZ variable to 1 and set the ELV variable to 0. If you are snapping from a node to another node, you should check that the point styles Z-Display is set to 0. You might also try using the survey database and translating the points that way. Your surface should follow the points after they move and if there is no elevation shift, there shouldn't be any changes to the contours other than location.

Message 3 of 6
doni49
in reply to: KirkNoonan

What Kirk said.  If that doesn't work, then post two dwg files:  before the move and after the move.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 6
johngordon6189
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Another way to move with out changing elevations, use the .xy filter and use 0 for the elevation when prompted.
John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 5 of 6
jmayo-EE
in reply to: johngordon6189

"Another way to move with out changing elevations, use the .xy filter and use 0 for the elevation when prompted. "

Yes. Absolutely. One can also simply draw a pline from origin to destination and snap to the pline for each part of the move.

Z must not change during the move command. All of the methods listed here will keep z constant accross the move.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: jmayo-EE

The best way is to place all point in a survey database. Then you have to translate to move them. But then there also locked from edits, so you dont risk the inadvertent move.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report