Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving points with offsets

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
sjg
Advisor
249 Views, 1 Reply

Moving points with offsets

I've asked this question before, but never got a clear answer. How do most people move points imported into a survey database that was shot with GPS and have offsets for trees, poles, signs, etc.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Sinc
in reply to: sjg

Most data collectors (assuming you're using a robotic gun) allow the field surveyor to automatically do that.  For example, they can take a shot 3' closer to the gun, and key in the fact that their target is 3' behind them.  Or they can shoot off to the side, and say "I shot 3' off to the the side".  Data collectors like the Trimble TSC3 have built-in compasses and GPS, so they can actually just stand at the point they shoot, point the data collector at the target, and key in "It's 3' away, in the direction I'm pointing my data collector".

With older systems, it get's more laborious.  If you're importing through the Survey Database, then one way is to unlock the point in the Survey Database, and move it manually.  This assumes, of course, that you don't expect to simply import Survey Database information into any newly-created drawing and have it be correct.  But I've found no value in that approach, in any case.  So I don't reallly view that as much of a down-side, although I've heard of some companies who expect to work that way.  But I personally think they are making a mistake.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report