Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Points out of "All Points" Group?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
GreeneSWCD
1125 Views, 15 Replies

Moving Points out of "All Points" Group?

I have a project that was started by leaving all the survey data inside the "All Points" group.  So, I'm concerned that when I enter my as built survey points, that even if I put them into their own group, that the original surface will still look at them and just rebuild to my asbuilt data, effectively cancel out the purpose of the asbuilt survey.  Will this happen? 

I want to take the original points and put them into a group of their own, but I don't know if that will affect anything or not?  I have several wetlands already designed on that surface with volume calcs already done too. 

What should I do? 

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: GreeneSWCD

points cannot be excluded from the all points group.

the all points group should not be used to create a surface.

create a new group and add that to the surface then remove the all points group from the surface definition.

Message 3 of 16
troma

You can't take points out of the 'All Points' group.  It does what it says: contains all the points.  There is no way to change that.

Therefore, you shouldn't use the 'All Points' group to build a surface.  (You probably don't want trees, top of fire hydrants etc in your surface anyway.)

As for what to do now, it might need a little more detail but here's an outline:

1. Make a point group of the points that should be in your surface.

2. Remove the 'All Points' group and add the new group to your surface.

3. In the surface definition, move the point group to the same priority as the 'All Points' group was at (probably the top, but check first.)

4. Rebuild your surface.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 16
AllenJessup

I've never done this in a real project but... What I'd suggest is to create the point groups you need for the existing surface. Add those to the Surface and then delete All Points from the definition.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 16
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

Also, advise the cad tech, that they will be beating about the head if they ever do that again. Smiley Wink

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 16
AllenJessup
in reply to: AllenJessup

Looks like I was late to the party. That's what happens when someone asks you to work in the middle of writing a reply.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: rl_jackson

What's the best way to get all the points out of the "All points" group and into a new group? 

The worst part is that I know there is at least one job coming my way done this way, but the error in his ways has been remedied, mostly due to recent "beatings about his head area." 

Message 8 of 16
sboon
in reply to: AllenJessup

Three people providing the same answer to one question simultaneously.  The expertise ratio may be a little skewed this morning. Smiley Wink

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

read above.   the question was already answered.   Points cannot be removed from the all points point group.

The all points group can be deleted, but i think it will come back each time you re-open the drawing.

Message 10 of 16
rl_jackson

Right click the group, copy and rename. then set your surface to the new group name.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
AllenJessup

@GreeneSWCD wrote:

What's the best way to get all the points out of the "All points" group and into a new group? 

There is no way to remove points from All Points. Hence the name. You have to create new groups that separate the points by description or number. Any surface that used the All Points group will need to be edited and have the correct point groups added and All Points deleted from it. The same goes for anything else linked to All Points.

Well...... The only way to get points out of the All Points group is to Erase the points from the drawing. I don't think that's want you're aiming for.

One other possibility is to leave the drawing with the Surface alone and DRef the surface in to a new drawing. We usually do that. We have a Base drawing with all the existing and Design drawings for different plan sets.

Edit

I didn't read that quite well enough. The rt-click and copy will work. However I think that creating point groups based on description is the best. That is if you have consistent descriptions. Since we also break out points in to numeric sequences. I often create the group for defining a surface by a point range. If there are a couple of bum shots you can Exclude them by number.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
GreeneSWCD

Correct, I'm not looking at taking points out of "All Points."  I'm just looking to copy all of them in order to put them in a good group.  Then I'll take that group and put it into the surface and point the definition to that group, and take that "all points" group out of the definition. 

I have found these points on a disc, so can I just import them myself into a new group from scratch?  I got the cd from the other guy, so it's laying here.  I'm thinking that maybe this is the best method?  Thoughts?

Message 13 of 16
troma

@GreeneSWCD wrote:

Correct, I'm not looking at taking points out of "All Points."  I'm just looking to copy all of them in order to put them in a good group.  Then I'll take that group and put it into the surface and point the definition to that group, and take that "all points" group out of the definition. 

I have found these points on a disc, so can I just import them myself into a new group from scratch?  I got the cd from the other guy, so it's laying here.  I'm thinking that maybe this is the best method?  Thoughts?

Please note: do not copy points.  Do not re-import points that are already in the drawing.  The one point can be in as many different groups as needed.  I think the best method is probably the one posted by Valued Mentor@rl_jackson above, although I've never tried it.  Don't copy points, but copy the group.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 14 of 16
rl_jackson

You dont need the point in the drawing at all, just reference the point file in your surface definition and do away with the points in the drawing. This will create less clutter, and makes the drawing more managable, expeciallly for large surfaaces.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
GreeneSWCD
in reply to: rl_jackson

Problem solved.  Thanks guys! 

Message 16 of 16
wfberry

Just a reminder.  Make a new group.  Go to the INCLUDE tab.  Show include 100-221 (e.g.).  That's all.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report