Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move to Site command deletes the original site

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Jay_B
860 Views, 16 Replies

Move to Site command deletes the original site

I have a couple of Sites created where I'd like to separate some of the Feature Lines from Site A by creating Site B to move some of the Feature Lines into.

Steps used:

1. Created new Site ~ Site B.

2. Using the Move to Site, moved a Feature Line from Site A to Site B.

Now Site A is gone from drawing & the only way to make it reappear is to close the dwg w/out saving & reopen.

C3d 2014 SP2.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Just tried the same thing using C3d 2012 SP3 and the old site is still present and contains all unmoved Feature Lines.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay, it has been reported before but I'm not seeing any resolution.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/error-in-copying-or-moving-of-feature-lines-f...

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 17
jmayo-EE

I use FLines a lot Jay and I have not seen this. I also just tried it in a new file w/o issue.

I wonder if your site is corrupt...

Did you try recover or audit?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
Jay_B
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks Jeff & John.

I ran an Audit & while it fixed 3 errors it still deletes the original Site.

Tried a New dwg using our custom dwt, created a few feature lines and another site and Move to Site command deleted the original site.

Tried the OOTB _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt and the Move to Site command functions as expected.

Tried the OOTB Acad.dwt (which our dwt is derived from) and Move to Site command deleted the original site.

After the above I began to Google Civil Acad.dwt etc. and stumbled upon this WISDOT publication, see  Civil 3D 2014 Sites and Feature Lines Disappear, indicating their dwt's have this very same issue.

The fact that a DOT is crippled by this very same problem provides some hope it could be considered important enough to fix this issue in a future service pack.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 17
Cadguru42

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Jeff & John.

I ran an Audit & while it fixed 3 errors it still deletes the original Site.

Tried a New dwg using our custom dwt, created a few feature lines and another site and Move to Site command deleted the original site.

Tried the OOTB _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt and the Move to Site command functions as expected.

Tried the OOTB Acad.dwt (which our dwt is derived from) and Move to Site command deleted the original site.

After the above I began to Google Civil Acad.dwt etc. and stumbled upon this WISDOT publication, see  Civil 3D 2014 Sites and Feature Lines Disappear, indicating their dwt's have this very same issue.

The fact that a DOT is crippled by this very same problem provides some hope it could be considered important enough to fix this issue in a future service pack.

I remember finding and reading about many problems in C3D 2014 with the acad.dwt template. Wonder if this is related to that?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 17
jmayo-EE

I'm not trying to add to the confusion but my templates are created from the acad.dwt as well... Have been for years. 😮

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
Jay_B
in reply to: Cadguru42

engrtech wrote:
I remember finding and reading about many problems in C3D 2014 with the acad.dwt template. Wonder if this is related to that?

I'm unaware of any other issues relative to creating a dwt from the Acad.dwt?

We chose Acad.dwt for the obvious reason of eliminating the unwanted pre-cooked layers etc.

We've been using this template for 8 months now, it was completely rebuilt due to an unrelated issue.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 17
Jay_B

John,

You've certainly added to the confusion here w/out trying Smiley Indifferent

I'm going to have to test the Acad dwt in a few other releases here and see if any of the OOTB Acad.dwt's behave any differently.

Can you test the OOTB 2014 Acad.dwt when you have some time & see if the original Site disappears for you in that instance?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 17
jmayo-EE

Ok this is with the 2014 & 2015 version of acad.dwt only AND with 2014 and 2015 only.

My template is built off of the 2013 version of acad.dwt and saved up to 14 and 15. I don't have the issue with these files. Here's more to mess this all up.

With my template and the 2013 version of acad.dwt everything works fine in 13, 14 and 15.

With the 2014 or 15 version of acad.dwt I can reproduce the error in 14 and 15 NOT in 13...

2013 will work correctly with all versions of acad.dwt...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
jmayo-EE

With all of that said one solution would be,

Start 2014 or 15 using the 2013 version of acad.dwt.

Gamble on ImportStylesAndSettings, import the styles from a working template and finish what the command refuses to do (set default styles and layers).

Save this file as your new template.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 17
Jay_B

John,

Thanks for confirming 2014 and noting that the 2013 Acad.dwt does not have the disappearing Sites bug.

Doesn't appear to be any softer/easier way with this one. I hate to even think of rebuilding the dwt all over again for the second time ~10 months into 2014 here.

I'm going to file a Support Request and see what they say.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 12 of 17
Jay_B

Response from support:

Dear Jay,

Thank you for choosing Autodesk Support. My name is ---- and I will be assisting you with your case. This is a known issue that development is aware of. At this time there is no known solution to fix this issue.

As a workaround however, it is recommended to use the Civil 3D NCS template, or to create a custom template using the NCS template as a starting point.

As I know this is not ideal for every situation, we do apologize for this inconvenience. I have linked this known issue to your case. If you have any feedback you would like to submit regarding the current product, please navigate to the link below and submit this to the project manager of that product (specified in link).  This will help the PM and developers hear your voice on any changes/concerns with functionality directly for consideration in future builds.

Feedback Link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 13 of 17
zoeyanne

If you want to give feedback to AutoDesk, the defect number is: DE6664.  The feedback link is:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

I have asked Autodesk to provide a fix for this.  We still use C3D2014 with no plans to move to C3D2015, so I am in the process of rebuilding our company template.  What a pain!

Message 14 of 17
Jay_B
in reply to: zoeyanne

FWIW, I don't believe 2015 would help anyhow as the same issue persists in the 2015 Acad.dwt.

A tedious pain it is to rebuild custom templates and this IS a major issue that is certain to affect many organizations.

We've already rebuilt ours once since implementing 2014.

The fact that things can get deleted by simply using Move to Site or running an Audit on a dwg is quite disturbing.

I'm also hoping a fix is forthcoming.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 15 of 17
Neilw_05
in reply to: Cadguru42

According to the WISDOT link you posted, the problem is fixed by replacing two .dbx files. If that is the case then you may not need to recreate your template. I can't verify so maybe someone else can try and report the results.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 16 of 17
Jay_B
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks Neil, I hadn't heard about this, it's good to know they came up with a solution.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 17 of 17
Neilw_05

The WISDOT document has a link to download the 2 files.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report