AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 11 of 19 (354 Views)

Re: Move/Rotate entire drawing

02-15-2012 12:49 PM in reply to: glen.cameron

If you need to maintain the connection to the FBK's, someone else will have to jump in here. If not, you could just explode the figures to 3dpolys and move them.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
Valued Contributor
glen.cameron
Message 12 of 19 (353 Views)

02-15-2012 12:54 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

Thank you for your time and words of wisdom.

I would prefer to maintain the figures, so I hope someone else may have another suggestion or two to try. :smileyhappy:

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Valued Contributor
TCARCAMO78
Message 13 of 19 (343 Views)

02-15-2012 02:15 PM in reply to: Jeff_M

can you extract the figures thru the xref using the copy nested objects command onces you have the old drawing aligned with the new base drawing?

Tony

CAD Manager

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo
CAD Manager
www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com
davehi
Message 14 of 19 (331 Views)

02-15-2012 06:16 PM in reply to: glen.cameron

Have you tried using the Translate Database command?

You can use it to move alll the data in the suvey database to a new location.

DaveH

Dave Hill
*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 15 of 19 (328 Views)

02-15-2012 07:57 PM in reply to: davehi

I'm not an expert on the Survey Database but it is my understanding that one of the strengths of the survey database is the ability to reproject the survey to other coordinate systems. Thus you should be able specify the transformation parameters to project your local survey to a UTM.

Richard Sincovec (sinc) can probably help with the workflow. You might try giving him a ping.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
fordtruckman
Message 16 of 19 (250 Views)

12-17-2012 08:07 AM in reply to: glen.cameron

This is the issue I cannot find a solution to.  How do you "unlock the survey database?"  I have read many people say that's what needs to be dont to rotate or edit survey points but then I haven't seen anyone actually explain how to do it.  The closest I got was "Prospector-Settings-Point-(right click)-Edit Feature Settings-Update Points-'Allow Checked In Points to be Modified'-True"  except then the points still won't rotate.

Any ideas?  I'm trying to rotate a preliminary survey about a point a certain number of degrees to match existing survey data.  Everything in the drawing rotated except the survey points....

davehi
Message 17 of 19 (222 Views)

12-20-2012 04:09 AM in reply to: fordtruckman

Give this method a try if you wish to adjust the Survey Database.

From the Survey Toolspace open the Survey Database you want to edit.

From the Survey Ribbon choose the "Modify" band from the Modify panel.

Pick Translate database

(you could also enter "Translatesvdatabase" at the command line to run it)

The Translate Survey Database dialogue box will open and then you can set your basepoint, rotation angles, etc. which will move the entire database to the new location.

Import the points from the surveydatabse as usual.

Dave Hill
Valued Contributor
glen.cameron
Message 18 of 19 (26 Views)

12-12-2014 12:12 PM in reply to: davehi
I finally had some time to dig into this and get a working solution. What I finally did to get this to work was: 1) I started a new clean drawing using my normal template drawing. 2) I created a new Survey Database 3) I imported the FBK file that was on UTM coordinates (which needed to be moved/rotated to a local coordinate system in an existing drawing) 4) I added a line to go between 2 control points from the old coordinate system into the new drawing (this will be used as a referance to apply the translation of the new data) 5) I ran the Translate database command to move/rotate all the new survey data and survey figures to the old corresponding control point locations. 6) After confirming the move/rotation went correctly in the new drawing, I saved the drawing and exited. 7) I then opened the old drawing 8) I inserted the new drawing into the old drawing at 0,0 so they remain on the same coordinate system. As it was being inserted I ensured the Explode option was checked on. 9) Once it was inserted I checked the new survey points and the points were all added to the old database. The survey firgures had also all been added to the old drawing, all at the correct local coordinate system, as desired. 10) I could then create my point groups, etc. as desired. Life is good now! I want to thank all those that did provide their comments and suggestions - without all of you I probably would not have figured this out. So I wnated to summarize my steps in case it helps someone else in the future! Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Distinguished Contributor
annw2
Message 19 of 19 (16 Views)

12-12-2014 04:34 PM in reply to: TCARCAMO78

I would NEVER bind an XREF except for archival files you never want to use again.

Start with a new Civil 3d file & insert the old LDD file as an unexploded block.  Then Align to your new system. Then explode.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.