Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Existing Terrain Model - C3D 2014

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
perry
527 Views, 5 Replies

Move Existing Terrain Model - C3D 2014

I have looked this up in previous versions but never got a clear answer (from C3D 2012)

Lets say you have a new terrain created from a fieldbook with survey figures, but now you have to move it because its not in the correct coordinate system/rotation.  Unlock the points in the drawing under the survey database, then move the terrain, points, linework.  The terrain does a projection from the original location through the new location and beyond the new moved location, and the survey figues don't move

Has anyone ever come up with a way to stop this projection happening other than exploding all the survey figures to 2D polylines and creating a new terrain?

We are now using Civil 3D 2014.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: perry

When you make you move, move only the data, not the surface object. It should reuild corectly, assuming you did not do a lot of pick add point to surface routines.

Personally I would translate the survey database vs. unlocking that way you data in the database is the same as the drawing.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
perry
in reply to: rl_jackson

Yes, that terrain will rebuild correctly is I only move the data, however, since the model is also based on the survey figures as breaklines it still creates problem since the figures will not move as well.

As to translating the survey database, I never even thought of that route.  However, I just tried it and get the error that the database is read only and cannot write to it, so I can't run the translate.  Our survey database is on a shared location on our network (not in vault) and we have read/write premissions to that directory.  I'm testing on a new survey that is linked only to my drawings, so there is defilitely no-one else accessing it.

Any thoughts?

Message 4 of 6
rl_jackson

That's because the correct way to do it is to translate the database to the new location.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
rl_jackson

Right click the database and open for edit

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
perry
in reply to: rl_jackson

Thanks

That works.  My "read only" problem was that I wasn't CLOSING the survey first before trying to reopen it to edit/translate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report