Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling Breakwaters

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
RTJMartin
2765 Views, 6 Replies

Modeling Breakwaters

Curious if anyone has done any Earthen Causeway or Breakwater modeling using custom Assemblies and Subassemblies. Any tips or tricks before I get going ??

Structure would consist of a Core, an Underlayer, and of course Rip Rap. Also the Rip Rap layer will most likely have a Toe at the Existing Seabed.

The last time we did a Causeway, it was fairly complicated and I did it with Grading Objects. Edits and modifications were a real PITA. Also volumes were a little awkward to get. I figure using a custom built Assembly would be a better way to go.

Any comments, suggestions, tips, tricks, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

RTJMartin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sboon
in reply to: RTJMartin

Can you post a sketch of the typical section?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 7
RTJMartin

Here's a quick Section I just knocked off.

Message 4 of 7
sboon

I make no claim of expertise as far as the SAC goes, but I do have some experience with the logic of building assemblies.

Looking at your sketch, my first question is what parts of this assembly could be built using OOTB subassemblies?  Some people prefer to build the whole cross section using the SAC, but using generic LinkWidthAndSlope for the flat top of the breakwater provides options for width and slope targets that you don't have to program.

Building with the SAC is all about figuring out how you want to get from one section point to the next one.  For example if you're at the red point can you use a fixed delta X and delta Y to get to the yellow point, or would you use a fixed slope with a variable delta Y which could be input by the user?  Is the green point at a fixed location or is it an intersection of the two lines?  If its an intersection point then you may need to do some math in order to calculate the location of an auxiliary point on the slope near the arrowhead.

Try to draw out the sequence of points on your sketch, with notes on how you would calculate each one.  You'll also want to consider what variables you'll need if you want to control slopes, thickness, etc.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
RTJMartin
in reply to: sboon

Thanks Steve,

Looking at the Section now, I can see how to build it using the generic LInks. The trick will be finding out at the beginning from the Engineer what will be set and not moving. For example, the thicknesses of the Rip Rap and Underlayer often get "optimized".

Any idea if I would be able to get volumes from between the multiple LInks that would make up the different layers? I would think probably not.

Anyway, this certainly gets me started.

Cheers,

Richard

Message 6 of 7
sboon

If you know which values to adjust in order to change the material thickness then you could use parameter overrides in the corridor to make changes and apply them along station ranges.  It should be fairly easy to get volumes between the layers as long as all of your generic links are coded correctly.  Most of them would have multiple link codes, to define the materials above and below them.

• Links which are adjacent to the Core material would be coded as Datum, so that you could calculate that materail by comparing with EG.
  • Links which define the bottom of the Underlayer would also have a code like UL_Bottom.
  • Links between the Riprap and Underlayer would have another code, say UL_Top.
  • Links at the top of Riprap would use RR_Top code.
  • The two links at the top center would have all of the codes.  This is to ensure that the TIN being built for each surface is continuous across the section.

You should be able to get volumes by comparing RR_Top surface to UL_Top, then UL_Top to UL_Bottom.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 7
JPanopio
in reply to: sboon

Hi mate,

I hope that you are still active here in the community. Following your conversation regarding the top layer, on the other hand, what's the best option to design the toe of the breakwater if I want it to follow the surface but with a fixed slope?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report