Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model View Placed on Sheet from SSM cannot be moved or deleted

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
hencoop
491 Views, 15 Replies

Model View Placed on Sheet from SSM cannot be moved or deleted

I placed a couple of model views on my sheet using the SheetSet Manager.

They are immediately immoveable and cannot be deleted.  I even tried (ENTDEL (CAR (ENTSEL))) and selected the viewport but nothing happened.

They are not on a locked layer and not on DEFPOINTS.

The viewport boundary is visible and on a layer that is on and thawed.

I can select them and they appear to drag with my cursor after the origin point is selected but once the destination point is provided they remain exactly where they were initially placed.

Is there something I'm missing or have forgotten about the behavior of such viewports?

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
doni49
in reply to: hencoop

What version are you using?  I tested this in 2012 and was UNABLE to reproduce this.

EDIT:  I decided to test this in 2014 as well.  Couldn't reproduce it there either.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 16
hencoop
in reply to: doni49

If it is not an expected behavior (which I would have missed or forgotten because it isn't expected by me) then I don't think anyone should be able to reproduce it.

It may just be more strange behavior adding to the urgency that I do a clean reinstall of my AutoCAD C3D 2014.

Message 4 of 16
doni49

If you post your dwg file, I (or maybe someone else) may be able to spot a setting that causes it.
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 16
hencoop

I'll do that but not include xrefs yet since they probably have nothing to do with the problem.  That'll make the file small enough.  The two viewports are on the lower right of the page in case it isn't obvious.

Message 6 of 16
doni49

Well it's not the file.  I opened the file in 2014 & was able to move both of the VPs -- both by way of grip edit and the move command.

I've attached the file with them moved.  Try opening my copy of the file -- who knows maybe there's something in 2014 that automatically fixed a corruption issue in the file (possibility -- not a guarantee).

You still didn't say what version you're using.  Saw the version after I posted.

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 16
doni49

Well I had a bit of a duh moment -- forgot to attach the file.

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 16
doni49

Do you have a service pack installed?

I've got 2014 SP2.  It COULD be an issue with the version.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 16
hencoop

I did mention doing a clean install of AutoCAD C3D 2014 but that didn't answer the question. I am using AutoCAD C3D 2014.
Message 10 of 16
hencoop

I have SP2
I think my installation is screwed somehow.
I did an uninstall of just C3D and then reinstalled it a week or so ago to try to fix some other strange behavior. It didn't fix it.
I think I'll need to do a full clean install.
Message 11 of 16
hencoop

I tried out the returned dwg. I could move the one remaining viewport. (there was just one right?) idk how you made a difference... unless my installation is screwed.
Message 12 of 16
doni49

@hencoop wrote:
I tried out the returned dwg. I could move the one remaining viewport. (there was just one right?) idk how you made a difference... unless my installation is screwed.

The ONLY thing I did was open your file, pick one of the viewports and move one of the grips.  It worked fine.  So I did the same to the other one and again it worked.  Then I used the move command to try and move them.  That worked too.  So I saved the file and posted it back for you to check.

As I said, I'm wondering if maybe there's something in SP2 that fixed some corruption (I know you said you're on 2014 but is there an SP involved there?).

As far as one or two VPs, here's a screen shot showing your file on my screen.  I've marked the two VPs with red shapes.

EDIT:  you said in a different post (which I missed) that you're on SP2.

03 Bus Route Plan.dib

Don Ireland

Message 13 of 16
hencoop

I saw the viewport on the right.  The one on the left was off screen and I didn't zoom extents.  I opened the dwg you posted again just to see and it was different than last time!?  The viewports were in their original location but now I can move them.  Why they aren't where you left them is a real puzzle.  Thanks for your help.

Stranger-Still.jpg

Message 14 of 16
doni49

@hencoop wrote:

I saw the viewport on the right.  The one on the left was off screen and I didn't zoom extents.  I opened the dwg you posted again just to see and it was different than last time!?  The viewports were in their original location but now I can move them.  Why they aren't where you left them is a real puzzle.  Thanks for your help.

Puzzle.  Yeah that works.

Glad to be of assistance.  Hopefully it'll continue to work.

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 16
hencoop

I opened my original just now and the viewports can be moved today... go figure! I had restarted AutoCAD as part of my many attempts to fix it the other day and they were still unable to be moved. Time to move on I suppose. Thanks again.
Message 16 of 16
hencoop

Just FYI

I did a complete removal of all autodesk products and reinstalled Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2014.  That experience is described here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report