Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mms file

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
AEC_Cadd
24136 Views, 12 Replies

mms file

I have created a mms file using C3D 2015. What do I do with it? How do I get my dwg file to recognize it? If I type mms, pick the file and open it, nothing happens. The surface that I created shows no data and if I draw a polyline across the area where the surface should be and create a temp profile, the profile shows no finished ground elevations. How do I get the surface back into the dwg that created it?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jay_B
in reply to: AEC_Cadd

Civil 3D creates an mms file when a surface becomes very large in the same directory as the source dwg.

If the surface source dwg is moved the mms file must also be moved to the same folder.

I'm confused when you say you've created an mms file? AFAIK, C3D just creates an mms based on the files size info found in the help.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2014/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-843FBD00-A8BD-4D4B-8233-ABAD6B6B7AFE.htm
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 13
AEC_Cadd
in reply to: Jay_B

I'll try and explain it again. I imported contour shp files to make a surface. Surface and dwg file got very large. The dwg was about 198 gig. Saved the dwg. During this process a mms file was created in the same directory as the dwg. I exited the dwg, rebooted my computer and opened the dwg again. The mms file, which is about 500 meg, was still in the same directory as the dwg but there is no surface. It is gone. I am not going to start over again as Civil 3D doesn't seem to handle large files very well. Will probably create it again in GIS software.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Message 4 of 13
Pointdump

A,

198GB! Day-um! I'd not heard of mms files before, so I went to the Help Section(Jay's link). Help is kinda vague on the subject and offers no information on what to do with the mms file other than keeping it in the same directory, which you're already doing.

When you say the surface is gone, do you mean that the surface is not showing up in the drawing, or that the surface isn't even listed in the Prospector Tab anymore. With a file size that large, even if you're using a beast of a SuperComputer, you might have to wait a long time until it shows up.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 13
neilyj666

I'd even suggest that a file that size is to large to be of any practical use

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 13
AEC_Cadd
in reply to: Pointdump

The surface in the dwg is gone but it does show up in the prospector. I tried to update the surface thinking that maybe it would get the data from the mms file but no luck. I've given up on the project and done it in GIS software. Thanks for your input.

Message 7 of 13
AllenJessup

When you say "I exited the dwg," do you mean you Quit the drawing without saving. I could see that causing the situation you're describing. If the drawing was not saved after the .mms file was created. The drawing would not "remember" it should look for the file. I've had .mms files created when using Lidar and never had that problem.

I've read that certain method of importing surfaces from GIS software can lead to very large surfaces. I only work with raw data so I don't have direct experience with that.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

I would agree Neil. That is too large to work with in Civil 3D. IMO, GIS software would not model anything adaquate enough for design work. I would bet that the OP did not see the surface because Level Of Detail is on.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John,

Good thought on the Level of Detail.

I have .mms files almost as large as that. Created from LAS files. It does make things run very slowly. I have multiple surfaces with varying dencities so that I don't have to deal with the large ones that often. I use DRefs also.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I find that when I get a 5m DTM the contouring in Civil can be a bit jagged but the contours produced by MAP are a lot more pleasing. So I import the data to MAP, extract the contours layer as an SDF, import to new drawing, perform an Alter Properties query and create a Civil surface from the contours. It's a bit of a workaround but doesn't take too long in reality.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
Pointdump
in reply to: neilyj666

Neil,

"...the contours produced by MAP are a lot more pleasing."

Interesting. I wonder why. The Help Section hints that there are differences between standalone Map and the Map part of C3D, but I've never seen an in-depth listing of the differences. I tried to download Map, just to see what differences there might be, but after several hours of failure after failure, I gave up.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 12 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: Pointdump

I don't know...but they are much more smooth and flowing (in the main) and whilst it may not be any better or worse in terms of surface integrity it looks much better...and when added as contour data to a Civil surface maintains the same smooth appearance. I usually do a 1m contour spacing for the typical jobs I undertake as this seem to give decent result.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
hamedEWD2S

I faced the same issue today. a File that could not find the MMS file and there was no way to re-path the mms file back to the surface and the DWG file opened with no error of missing MMS file when you open the file.

My trick to stimulate the DWG file to look for the MMS file:

1- Keep a backup of your MMS files (you will need it)

2- Rename the MMS files related to your DWG file. look for all the MMS files with the same name as your DWG file for my case it was two files.

3- Open your CAD file and now you should see your error(s) message(s)

4- Save the DWG file with MMS files missing.

5-now you probably may miss your re-named MMS files. that's what happened to me. Go to your back up and copy the MMS files to the same folder as your DWG file is saved.

6- Open you DWG File and it should be working this time.

I hope it helps.

Large surface files tend to crash and miss MMS files when several people try to access the XREF specially around deadline times which is super annoying and stressful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report