Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum curve radius for CAT777F at 30km/hr

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
wang890
1024 Views, 6 Replies

Minimum curve radius for CAT777F at 30km/hr

anybody can work out the minimum turning radius of cat 777f at 30km/hr? need to figure out the horizontal curves to use for this.

we have been using 60 to 100m curves but i think it maybe smaller. small curves helps with these steep terrain.

Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
g_k50
in reply to: wang890

That's a big dump truck isn't it?

I would go by what Cat recommends, What's the load limit?  What's the center of gravity?

would be a couple of questions I had If I wanted to do a study of how tight to make a curve that was outside of Cat approved specs.

Message 3 of 7
sboon
in reply to: g_k50

According to this link the front turning diameter is 25.3m  It doesn't indicate whether that is the outside front wheel, or the body clearance however.

Edit - Found another link which specifies a turning clearance radius of 46' 7" - Google is your friend here...

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 7
entropist

It looks like sboon already posted the standard turning radius.

The part that caught my attention was the given speed. I wouldn't want to have to account for varying loads (centers of gravity) and turning at that kind of speed. Perhaps you could design something reasonable, and not allow yourself to be held accountable for how fast they drive. (Also, I'm glad I won't be anywhere near a cat777 going 30km/hr; MSHA sites I've worked on have a much lower speed limit 🙂

Message 5 of 7
g_k50
in reply to: entropist

The science and engineering of haul roads is complex indeed.  You want the fastest haul for obvious reasons. 

I wouldn't want to have a meeting with the Mine Engineer about why 8 million dollars is lying in the ditch and my

fall back position is gonna be "But they told me over at AutoCAD Civil 3D" that the turning radius could be changed.

Message 6 of 7
wang890

Thanks guys and mr. Boon.
So looks like 30m minimum is ok. Will post a slower speed at those curves. Mainly 60m so plenty safe I guess.

I thought 30kmh is slow. Guess it is fast.

Still a lot simpler than highway design. Seriously. It's pretty relaxing working on haul roads and civil 3d.
Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19
Message 7 of 7
sboon

I found another link here with all sorts of useful information on haul road design.  Apparently max. loaded speeds of 50-60kmh are fairly common in the manufacturers specs, but your site geometry will probably force you to use lower design speeds.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report