Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mill and Overlay Parameters

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
VernS
926 Views, 22 Replies

Mill and Overlay Parameters

I am trying to overlay a large area,I have a design profile grade that I must use. I need the new edge of the overlay pavement to be 2" above the existing as long as the pavement cross slope is between 1% to 1.5% . If the slope goes above or below the min or max I need it to take the min or max. If I use the overlaymillandlevel2 I am unable to get it to use the overlay thickness since i am using a profile. Does anyone know how I can do this?

thanks

civil 3d 2011 with all service packs, Window 7

Intel E5630 @ 2.53GHz  2.53GHz

8 Gig Ram

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: VernS

if you have to be 2" at the edge then you'll need to find your profile from that parameter, right?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 23
VernS
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I can only use the profile if the cross slope falls within the 1% to 1.5%. If the crossslope falls outside the min max with 2" at the edge of pavement then the 2" will vary and the min or max slope will control. If that makes sense.

thanks

Message 4 of 23
Joe-Bouza

It may take more than one pass.
I would start with 2" overlay Match slope. Look at the sections and determine where to break it up? guessin here
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 23
VernS
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks for the quick replies Joe, I am trying to think outside the box to come up with a way to do this. If I have any luck I will post the solution.

thanks

Message 6 of 23
Joe-Bouza

Good luck Vern

Let me know how it goes. I know the OM2 can get frustrating
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 23
fcernst

This subassembly has been confirmed as defective. See the thread below:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Confirmed-Defect-OverlayMillAndLevel2-Subasse...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 23
sboon

I'm confused here.  You have a design profile at the crown or at the edges?  OM&L2 has an optional profile at the center but I don't see anything for the edge elevations. 

I'm wondering if OverlayWidenFromCurb would work.  Use two generic links to move over to the existing edge of pavement, then up 2" to the attachment point for the overlay sub.  If you use the profile option then you could check the calculated slopes in your corridor then adjust the profile as required.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 23
VernS
in reply to: sboon

I have a profile grade at the centerline. I tried the OverlayWidenFromCurb assembly but I don't see how to connect it to profile. All I see is set a distance above the existing surface. I have tried everything I can think of and still can't get the final product I need. Hopefully someone has an idea that will work. Thanks for the suggestions, I am willing to try anything at the moment.

Message 10 of 23
sboon

Here's the parameter list I have for OWFCurb.  I don't see anything about a distance above surface.

Clipboard01.png

When I built a corridor using this I have a targeting option there for the inside edge profile of the overlay.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 23
sboon

I've read through this thread several times and I'm getting even more confused.  You start from an profile elevation at the inside edge and you have a fixed outside thickness of 2"  If the slope between those two points is 1.25% plus or minus 0.25% then you're OK, otherwise the outside thickness must change - correct?  I'm not sure why you say that you would not use the profile in that case.

We may need a sketch here.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 23
VernS

Crown Height is the term I should have used. I need to connect it to the centerline design profile. I dont get the same variables as you. I am using 2011 so mine appear different.

thanks

Message 13 of 23
VernS

Hear is a sketch, I hope this helps.... I dont think I am explaining myself vary well. Please bear with me.

thanks

Message 14 of 23
sboon

Don't worry about it.  I'm working on some early Christmas cheer here, so there isn't much you can say to annoy me today.

I've got an idea for using generic links and some conditional test subs to do this, but it needs to percolate in my head for a while.  Are your lane widths fixed or variable offsets?

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 15 of 23
VernS

yes, lane widths are fixed. thanks for all your help. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Message 16 of 23
Joe-Bouza

wouldn't the height above be the profile of the edge?
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 17 of 23
fcernst

If the lane widths are always fixed then it's easy.

Create a level horizontal generic link from the Assembly attachment point that is the CL profile elevation, out to the lane width offset, and test that location with the Conditional Cut/Fill subassembly for the Fill depth range that will effect your desired cross slope range. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 18 of 23
VernS
in reply to: fcernst

I think this will work. I will mark as solution accepted as soon as I give it a try tomorrow at the office. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions

Message 19 of 23
sboon

It looks like this isn't going to work.  I cannot get the Overlay sub to work when it is inserted after a Conditional sub - no idea of why.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 20 of 23
VernS

I am not having any luck either. I am not able to get a slope from a link to marked point in 2011. Maybe it will work in a newer version.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas to try.

Merry Christmas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report