Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration process: xp=>win7

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
butzemann
343 Views, 6 Replies

Migration process: xp=>win7

Hello,

we are planning to migrate from windows xp to windows 7 64 bit. Is there are chance to deploy a migration script to backup the usersettings from xp and import them to windows 7. Copying the files from %appdata% is not a good solution because if the program was never started before the Autocad product will start a repair for usersettings and so the files and settings are deleted.

I need a method for more than 100 pcs so using the implemented export and import tool is not possible.

best regards

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: butzemann

Not sure what your trying to migrate - put I would not import anything from XP to Windows 7x64. Your just asking for added problems and issues. Now most customization files for C3D can be migrate (i.e.. custom menus, linetypes, plotter, and styles, xmls adn templates.) But if your doing this to 100pcs of equipment, maybe you should look at  storing some of those items on the server. Then creating a batch routine to get the stuff where it needs to be.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
butzemann
in reply to: rl_jackson

I try to migrate the user settings. The backup and restore script which copies the %appdata%\autodesk folder to a script and restore it during restore is already done. The only problem: HOW to migrate the settings at the best way. If I copy the settings and start Civil 3D 2013 the selfrepair is started all settings are reverted to default.

Message 4 of 7
rl_jackson

Try exporting an ARG file from the Options - Profile Tab for each user's PC to get autocad setting.

?
Rick

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: rl_jackson

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure what your trying to migrate - put I would not import anything from XP to Windows 7x64. Your just asking for added problems and issues. Now most customization files for C3D can be migrate (i.e.. custom menus, linetypes, plotter, and styles, xmls adn templates.) But if your doing this to 100pcs of equipment, maybe you should look at  storing some of those items on the server. Then creating a batch routine to get the stuff where it needs to be.

Agreed ^^^

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 7
AllenJessup

Are you also installing a newer release of Civil 3D? This can make a difference because there may be some differences between say C3D 2012 on XP 32 to C3D 2014 on Win 7 64. Also. Are you migrating to the new OS on new computers or upgrading the OS in the current computers?

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thats the important question.  If this is version -> version, then a simple profile import/export (and possibly some workspace migration as well) would work.  If its version -> +version then start from scratch.

If this is about workspaces, I would recommend structuring the CUIx files such that each user has their own custom Main on the network, in a location that is backed up regularly, and is automatically mapped per user.  That way, when they migrate or have to replace a dead computer all of their workspace settings are automatically available.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report