Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging two surfaces

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
yoganand.m
30294 Views, 7 Replies

Merging two surfaces

Hai,

I have two surfaces with useful information in both of them as in the figure. I need to merge two surfaces into a single surface retaining the points in both of them. 

I have tried the solution mentioned in this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/merge-surfaces/td-p/1943072 but the points of inner surface are lost when I did the merger.

Can anyone please help me to add the points of inner surface to the bigger surface. 

Thank you

Windows 7 x 64
Nvidia Quadro 2000
24 GB Ram
i7 960 @ 3.20 GHz
Civil 3D 2012
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: yoganand.m

Sounds to me like you have to merge the data to build a new surface

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 8
JessicaPalmer

Make sure that your inner surface is pasted, into the new surface, last. The past order matters, the last surface wins.

Thanks,

Jessica Palmer
Message 4 of 8
neilyj666

1. Create a new surface (COMBINED) and paste the large surface into it

2. Extract the boundary of the inner surface and add to the COMBINED surface as a non destructive breakline

3. Paste the inner surface to COMBINED

This assumes that the common boundary between the two surfaces are at exactly the same level which is unlikely and if this isn't acceptable then simply omit step 2 and the resultant TIN will replace everything in the outer surface TIN that is covered by the inner surface TIN (again this may not be desirable).

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 8
yoganand.m

Thank you everyone ! It worked. 🙂

Windows 7 x 64
Nvidia Quadro 2000
24 GB Ram
i7 960 @ 3.20 GHz
Civil 3D 2012
Message 6 of 8
mheffelfinger5

if your just adding new points to better build the surface rather than adding a surface to another surface to overwrite data in a particular area all you have to do is go to your original surface in toolspace that you are adding to. under the point group add the new points to the tab, this will automatically update the original surface you have built with your new points, you will most likely have to flip some edges to achieve the desired contouring 

Message 7 of 8
mpittsFBB2S

It would be a kindness to other users if you accepted which solution was the one you implemented that worked for you.

Just a thought.

Marty.

Message 8 of 8
neilyj666

This was marked as solved over 5 years ago...not much point resurrecting it...!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report