Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP Builidng Model on a Civil3D Surface

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
paulrdeyo86
400 Views, 13 Replies

MEP Builidng Model on a Civil3D Surface

I am attempting to x-ref a building model that was drawn in 2013 MEP in a Civil3D drawing that contains the site surface. When I x-ref my building model into the site drawing and attempt to align and scale the building some of my walls become broken and missing. I have a feeling this is a scaling issue because on my site my north wall should be 24' long. The wall is 24' long in MEP, but that same 24' from Civil3D is only a 2' line segment in MEP. Has anyone tried to do what I am doing here? Any ideas as to how to remedy this? I have tried scale the building model down in MEP first and it causes all kinds of problems with the door and window objects. I tried adjusting the x-ref scale prior to adding the x-ref and it does the same thing. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!Broken Walls.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
AllenJessup
in reply to: paulrdeyo86

I have no familiarity with MEP. However based on other experience in Civil 3D. I'd suggest creating a copy of the MEP file and scaling the building by 1/12. Then Xref that file.

I should have read your post more closely. What does the lower right of your Xref insert dialog box look like. There should be scaling information there. Also. What do you have your INSUNITS variable set at?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
AllenJessup

Do you have the AutoCAD Civil 2014 Object Enabler for MEP installed?

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
AllenJessup

Would THIS be of any help?

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
paulrdeyo86
in reply to: AllenJessup

Attached is the x-ref dialogue box. We are running both MEP and Civil3D 2013, so I do not know about the reader you are asking about.

Message 6 of 14
AllenJessup

Here's a link to the AutoCAD Civil 2013 Object Enabler

It's strange. By looking at the Xref Insert dialog box I can tell that Civil knows it's in inches. But it doesn't try to scale it on insertion. I'll assume that even if you changed the scale factor to 0.08333. You would still have the problem caused by scaling.

You do have the Civil drawing set to Feet?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
paulrdeyo86

The link you posted appears to be broken, but I can always find the object enabler. Yes, drawing is set up in feet and decimal inches. I have tried scaling the xref with the scale factor of .083 both in the xref insert box and after placing the xref and using the SCALE command. I also tried using the ALIGN command and selecting Yes for scale to object. All three options break my walls. I will download the object enabler, if I do not have it already, and see what, if anything, that does. Any other thoughts?

Message 8 of 14
paulrdeyo86

Object Enabler did not help. Walls are still messing up when scaling the model in Civil3D.

Message 9 of 14
AllenJessup

@paulrdeyo86 wrote:

Yes, drawing is set up in feet and decimal inches.

If I'm correct that would mean that you have set it to Engineering in the Drawing Units dialog. That doesn't work with Civil 3D.
du.PNG
That's the only way you'd get Decimal Inches. Instead use AECDWGSETUP  to set the units. It will only allow setings compatible with Civil. Check the Ambient Setting for the drawing in the Toospace also.
ds.PNG
I can't say that will fix your problem. As I said in my first post. I'm only guessing form my experience with Civil
Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
paulrdeyo86

You mean set my MEP model up this way?

Message 11 of 14
AllenJessup

OK. Wrong drawing. I thought you were referring the the Civil 3D drawing.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
paulrdeyo86

The Civil3D drawing is setup the same way you have in the images you posted.

Message 13 of 14
AllenJessup

OK. Then I'm sorry to say I'm out of ideas. Are you on Subscription? You might want to start a Service Request on this.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
paulrdeyo86

Alright, I will get with our Network admin and see what we can do. Thanks for trying though Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report