Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory leak

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Shinigami_black
4808 Views, 13 Replies

Memory leak

Hi, I have AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 in 64bit windows 7 OS. I use it for a year, but today it started to leak memory. If I open a dwg file it takes from RAM about 700 MB, if I open second dwg file it takes additional 700 MB. So now it uses 1400 MB. If I close all dwg files, but do not turn of AutoCAD it keeps memory. So if I open new dwg file AutoCAD uses about 2100 MB. And it goes to 3 GB until I get "Out of Memory" messages and AutoCAD crash. I can open and close 4 times the same dwg file and result will be the same. So it takes about 700 MB of RAM each time I open a file, but do not release it until I close AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: Shinigami_black

Are these network or local drawings? If they are network drawings, see what results you get if you move them to a local drive.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 14
gccdaemon
in reply to: tcorey

This isn't a new issue.

Check it out here:http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/2013-Civil-3d-Memory-Leak/td-p/3648504

You'll need a ton of ram for it to work through. I have 24 gig and have seen it hit 20 gig.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 4 of 14
Shinigami_black
in reply to: tcorey

No, they are local files in my D disk. I did not had any problems until I had installed AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013, which I had downloaded from Autodesk page. To see if here are any useful futures and if it worth upgrading from AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 (we brought AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 with upgrade to AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011, but never used it) to AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013. And a leak happens with all dwg files. With old and new. gccdaemon your link did not answered to my question, but shown that I am not alone.
Message 5 of 14

I just run one more test. I opened AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 program with new blank drawing window (it is custom made, have few blocks and several layers). And AutoCAD are using about 740 MB, opened new blank drawing. Memory usage grown to 1271 MB. Opened 3 new blank drawing and memory usage now is 1801 MB. Opened 4 new blank drawing and memory usage grown to 2333 MB. Opened 5 drawing and memory usages grown to 2862. It is max memory my AutoCAD can use, I have 16 GB memory on my computer. Closing all drawings, but leaving AutoCAD open memory usage remains about the same as was 2846 MB. There are no drawing opened. Trying to open new blank drawing AutoCAD hang, because it can use more memory. But problem is not that it can't use more memory, the problem is that it do not free memory after closing drawings. And I was using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 for few years right now and I could open as many drawings as I had needed. And it never used so much memory. Until I installed AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013.
Message 6 of 14
gccdaemon

Sounds like it's not closing the files propperly and they're hanging on close. Sounds like you need to reinstall. Also, if you have 12 gigs of ram, it sounds like you have an oloder computer and civil3d 2013 needs more resources than 2010.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 7 of 14
Shinigami_black
in reply to: gccdaemon

It not only not closing files, but it reserves too much memory for files. I used AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 for few years and it always was using as much memory as it need for specific file. It did not reserved any additional memory. So I could open even 20 files at one time and it would not used more RAM as 2,5 GB. But now I can only open 4 files. Reinstall not always help. Because uninstalling it deletes not all files and not all options. And installing again it do not overwrite this files or options. So problem persists after reinstall. I think mine AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 do not use more than 3 GB memory, because it is 32 bit. My OS is win7 64 bit.
Message 8 of 14
dgorsman

Civil3D is much more than DWG files - theres a lot of data involved as well.  To speed up operations its not unusual to load that data in memory once, rather than over and over again, even if its only used once.  Even though the drawings are closed, the data is retained in case its needed again later.  This may be what you are seeing, but its difficult to tell without monitoring.  ProcessMonitor or similar tools may be of some assistance.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 14
gregg

One word....(with other words to clarify)..........Serious memory hog....

Message 10 of 14
Shinigami_black
in reply to: gregg

I was searching for problems and have found it is only happens in my AutoCAD Civil 3D version, but not in my colleagues even if they open the same drawings. And I have found it happens if I am opening resent drawings which are made on our custom drawing template. So here are something in the drawing what do it, but only in my AutoCAD copy.
Message 11 of 14
gregg

Do all your colleagues use the same 64bit win 7 O.S.? (There are differences) Try trimming down the layers, template features, and anything dialogue that requires graphics display to the bare minimum....We us c3d for surveying....Different clients have different needs....For example: There is a remarkable performance difference between a template that requires 700 layers as opposed to one that has 120 not to mention the adjacent requirements of point styles, survey figures, etc....Just a few thoughts... 

Message 12 of 14
Shinigami_black
in reply to: gregg

No, I am the first to use 64BIT OS and AutoCAD Civil 3D. we do not use many layers, here are only about 20. Few blocks and same global configurations for text, surface styles. Right now I am of work and to work will return at Monday. So at Monday will attach a template file.
Message 13 of 14

I found the problem. I have added a coordinate system to my drawing template. But AutoCAD have corrupted his coordinate catalog. Like this http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/01/missing-coordinate-systems-in-units-and-zone-tab.htm... I have copy-past good Geospatial Coordinate Systems catalog to C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ and problem is solved. But I don't get why missing coordinate data was taking all the RAM.
Message 14 of 14
gregg

Nice to know...Thanks for the info...(C3D is a memory hog in my opinion even on a good day...) (Has more mysterious un-answerable quirks than a one eyed bird dog....)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report