Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

median highway intersection opposing left turn lanes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
annw2
720 Views, 5 Replies

median highway intersection opposing left turn lanes

I will be starting to design a 4 lane - 5 lane highway divided by a median. The median will be offset from the cl, stop for the intersection, then continue on the other side of the cl once past the intersection.

I will start digging into the median sub assemblies to try to figure this out unless anyone here can direct me to a good example or two.

I remember the old LLD/Civil manuals used to have a description on how to do this, but haven't seen anything like this in the 3d manual.

I have 2008 sp2, but only the 2007 manual printed out.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
billneu
in reply to: annw2

There is a great web cast on Left Turn lanes.
12/21/2007
Just look down this list and you will find it. There are previous web casts with different attacks at Left turn lanes but this was by far the easiest.

http://civilcommunity.autodesk.com/events/webcasts/

Bill Neuhauser P.E.
Alignex Inc.
Message 3 of 6
annw2

Thanks for post. It was very informative.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Dominick's from 10/21 is very good also... I had to watch it many times and found that by
lowering the speed I could keep up better. He shows some slightly more advanced methods that made
more sense after I had viewed all the others and actually done a few. I actually had a long email I
(thankfully) never sent (see, I can show some restraint) where I complained about the method and
presentation, but he was simply talking above my head (and a little too fast, I guess I'm too far
South). Check it out but don't expect to feel at home with it at first.

There are also some very early ones with Peter Funk that show some real power and that there is
more than one way to skin that kitty. They feature an off-ramp that stays perpendicular to the base
(he called it "the amazing lane" and I think we now use it as a built in subassembly). Daniel
Philbrick did one during this same, early era and, all-together they make a tour-de-force.

Happy Modeling,

JD
Message 5 of 6
annw2

Crowned median

I was thinking on the right track before watching the webcast. The main problem was looking for tips on the correct sub assembly.

The next step is the crowned median. The constant slope median would be rather redundant if all you need is the contours. I would like to use the crowned median, but can't find a definition of the string point value. Does this related to the named point subassembly in the generic tab? If so how come the subassembly help DOES SAY SO.

Also both median sub assemblies come in RIGHT orientation ONLY. Not mentioned when inserting.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion_Admin
Moved:

We split your post in to its own topic in the AutoCAD Civil 3D forum where there is likely to be more active feedback on the topic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report