Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of points in a C3D 2013 surface? 1.5 mill?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
kbarnettza
3667 Views, 6 Replies

Maximum number of points in a C3D 2013 surface? 1.5 mill?

C3D 2013. 64 bit. Windows 7.

Question 1.

In C3D 2013 is there a ceiling to the number of points allowable in a C3D surface? Is it 1.5 million?

Question 2.

In C3D 2013, when creating a surface from Point Cloud data is there a maximum point count based on the answer to question 1 - or is a different point count limit applied?

Thx.

Kevin.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Wilbers2013
in reply to: kbarnettza

Number of points 17 143 972, read from a text file.  The text file size ± 560mb.

Surface Propeties.png

Willie Wilbers
AutoCAD & Civil 3D 2014
ArcGIS 10.1
Message 3 of 7
mathewkol

Willie, is that the maximum number of points C3D can accomodate or is that just a surface you made? I don't think C3D has a limit per-se.

Regarding point clouds, I think there is a 1.5M point limit but I can't find any documentation to back that up.

For normal surfaces larger than that, C3D writes out to an external MMS file.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 7
Wilbers2013
in reply to: mathewkol

The surface was created from a file we received from a municipality and C3D writes a mms file.  Tha file took about 25min to load.  But afterthat, it worked quit fine.

I am not sure about the maximum amount of points that C3D can handle.

Have  a look at one one of the Autodesk University classes on point files.  It describes the way C3D handles Point Clouds in detail.

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class_listing&filter_keywords=point&chunk=15&filter_track=&filter_softwar...

Willie Wilbers
AutoCAD & Civil 3D 2014
ArcGIS 10.1
Message 5 of 7
Sinc

We use Trimble Real Works to process our point cloud data.  We find the tools in that software are FAR superior to C3D's abilities.  (Don't have any experience with other scanners than Trimble, but suspect you may find something similar.)

So we use TRW to "prune" our point cloud data down to a reasonable level, then only import that smaller set of data into C3D.  We find that works much better.

Sinc
Message 6 of 7
BrianHailey

@Kevin.barnett wrote:

Question 2.

In C3D 2013, when creating a surface from Point Cloud data is there a maximum point count based on the answer to question 1 - or is a different point count limit applied?

From the 2013 help file: 

1. Note

The displayed value is the percentage of 1.5 million points, which is the maximum number of points that can exist in a drawing, regardless of the number of point clouds in the drawing.  

Althougth I can't find it in the help files right now, the surface will be created based on the points that are being displayed in the cloud. In other words, I have 3 million points in my point cloud. I've set the slider to the max so 1.5 million points are being displayed. I then stylize the point cloud so only the ground shots are displayed (I'll assume that's 50% of them) so we are now down to 750k points. I then draw a rectangle around a quarter of the point cloud to add those points to my surface so you are now down to around 190k points.

Hope that makes sense.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 7
morris_calda
in reply to: mathewkol

Under 2 million to avoid MMS files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report