Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

material list, base surface and compare surface

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
949 Views, 11 Replies

material list, base surface and compare surface

hello everybody,

when im trying to create a new material list, i was only able to choose 1 surface which is the existing ground surface from the selection . So the base and the compare surface are themselves the same surface. and this is wrong. i tried to add a surface from corridor. unfortunately, it didnt appear in the selection box in the material list. so what can i do to have 2 surfaces to compare in the material list

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you add the corridor surface to the sections?  Check the sample line group properties and see if the corridor surface is listed on the Sections tab.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 12
rpilcher
in reply to: sboon

I am also having the same problem, the corridor surface is not listed on the sections tab. I tried to add them but no luck.

Thanks

Rob

Message 4 of 12
sboon
in reply to: rpilcher

First  - did you actually create a corridor surface?  Some new users assume that it's automatic.

Second - did you populate that surface with data from the corridor?  This is the more common error - people create a surface but don't add data to it.  Your corridor Properites dialog should look something like this.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 12
rpilcher
in reply to: Anonymous

Ok. thank you for your help but it has been too long since i have had to use this. I have tried to seach for more step by step help but didn't have any luck.  I think it is time for some update classes.

Thanks again

Rob

Message 6 of 12
sboon

OK then - let's do this in order.  First of all, when you open the Surfaces tab in your corridor properties dialog what do you see.  It should be similar to what I posted above.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 12
rpilcher

Kind of, I have my finished corridor.

Message 8 of 12
sboon

I would suggest that you turn on the Add as breakline option, and set the overhang correction to top links.  I'm assuming that you can see the surface in plan view, and it covers the expected area of the road.

On the Sections tab of your Sample Line Group Properties there should be a button to sample more sources.  In my drawing there is one more source that could be added to this Sample Line Group.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 12
rpilcher

Ok, I set it to Add as Breakline and changed the Overhang Correction to Top Links. I can see the surface in plan view.

On the Section Sources, the attached file you can see what I have.

Message 10 of 12
sboon

Looking at the icons for your data sources I can tell that you currently have a TIN surface and a corridor object sampled, and that you have a corridor surface available.  Use the Add button to move it over to the right side.

Clipboard01.png

You may need to check the settings for your Section View group properties to ensure that the surface is being drawn, and to get the labels and style correct.

Clipboard02.png

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 12
rpilcher

MAN YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

It worked.

Once I added my corridor it worked, but I don't understand why do I have to have the corridor in the sampled sections twice?

Message 12 of 12
sboon

One of them is the actual corridor (the first one in your list with the square icon.)  The other one is the corridor surface.  You have different options for displaying and labelling the corridor - using a code set, and you need the surface for volume calculations.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report