Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mastering Autocad Civil 3D 2015 or 2014

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
jcobb2014
4307 Views, 18 Replies

Mastering Autocad Civil 3D 2015 or 2014

We recently changed to Autocad 2015 Suite where as until then i was working with a personalized 2010 version of the software for standard drafting and some mechanical modeling.  The ultimate goal is to be able to do grading projects and calculations more expeditiously. I am very pleased to have the opportunity to do it.  The problem is this new software is very quote"Robust" to the point where it is totally intimidating as to the basic project development and flow.  I see there are two possible books that may help to redefine my way of doing business.  Is there a recommendation as to which would be better or should i assume the last is the best match to my installation?

Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015: Autodesk Official Press

Cyndy Davenport, Ishka Voiculescu

ISBN: 978-1-118-86209-4

Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014: Autodesk Official Press

Louisa Holland, Cyndy Davenport, Eric Chappell

ISBN: 978-1-118-60381-9

jm

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
wfberry
in reply to: jcobb2014

Quite frankly, either book should work for you, not much has changed as far as techniques.  Just to confuse you, Rick Ellis writes a real good book and is located:

http://cadapult-software.com/shop-cadapult-books/

Bill

Message 3 of 19
jcobb2014

Thanks, we may get both.
My experience with books is sometimes parallel explanations are beneficial.
Thanks again,
jm

J M Cobb
Engineering Assistant
Shelby County Water Services
Administration Building
200 West College Street, Rm 149
P. O. Box 10
Columbiana, Alabama 35051
Principal Dept. No. 205-670-6540
Direct No. 205-670-6546
jcobb@shelbyal.com
Message 4 of 19
Pointdump

JM,

I concur with Bill. Rick Ellis's books are very good, and his website has lots of tutorials and AutoCAD tips.

If you'd like a Grading-specific book, Ascent has a really good one:
http://www.ascented.com/courseware-solutions/autodesk/courseware/autocad-civil-3d/2015/civil-3d-2015...

Ascent also has one for 2015 Fundamentals:
http://www.ascented.com/courseware-solutions/autodesk/courseware/autocad-civil-3d/2015/autocad-civil...

And one specifically for Surveyors:
http://www.ascented.com/courseware-solutions/autodesk/courseware/autocad-civil-3d/2015/autocad-civil...

I bought the 2014 versions of all three, along with the 2014 version of Rick Ellis's book. I read all of them, cover to cover, and I rate them highly.

For some things, though, only this Forum will supply you with answers.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 19
tcorey

I haven't seen the 2015 Mastering book, but have used Ms. Holland's 2014 version in training classes. It was well received. The exercises are easy to follow and the explanations are in-depth.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 19
jcobb2014

Thanks Guys

I will review these if possible and see which would be best for me.

You All Have a Great Week

jm

Message 7 of 19
jcobb2014

To follow up on this thread, we have found a class in our local area which should help to jump start my mission.  After that i will make a determination

as to which book or books will best serve my need.  Thanks to Everyone for your consideration.

jm

Message 8 of 19
Joe-Bouza

I'm sure all the books out there have great content, but sometimes you have to get under the hood and scrape your knuckles.

Empirical data is your best teacher.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
Pointdump
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

"...sometimes you have to get under the hood and scrape your knuckles."

Now every time I open up C3D, I'm going to look at my hands.  SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 19
jcobb2014
in reply to: Pointdump

I've been down and dirty on occasion. 🙂 It's just when ya' jump from a Model T to a Space Ship it takes a minute to get ye ducks in a row. 😉
Message 11 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Pointdump

I know I do Dave 🙂

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 19
jcobb2014
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

To follow up on my progress so far.  The books that i have now are the Autocad Civil 3D Essentials 2015 and Acent Autocadd Civil 3D 2015 fundamentals.  The later was accompanyed by a 3 day introductory course and the book works fairly good for that purpose.  I have been able to produce several smaller site grading projects and now beginning to struggle with the Styles and Annotation labyrinth.  The question here,  Is there printed documentation dealing with the organizational structure and definition terms of this maze of tangents?

jm

Message 13 of 19

For a new and with little time for learning user, you can start AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 Essential Eric Chappell 
for a user with enough time to practice, Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 Cyndy DavenportyIshca
All kindle format

greetings

Message 14 of 19
rab8150

Is there any information on Storm and Sanitary Analysis in the Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 book?  I know there are bonus chapters for download on the Wiley website, but I was hoping there were more examples in the published book.  Thanks!

Message 15 of 19
jcobb2014

Hi, rab8150
I apologize about not replying sooner. It is time for spring division and house cleaning of honey bee hives in this part of the country and was off Friday.
As far as cumulative flow analysis you may need some additional reference and haven't seen much in Civil 3d that addresses it other than watershed and material quantity. My experience is more localized grading site plan & corridors for capital projects development. We use Aerial photography and topography from GIS and prior survey work to develop presentations for administrative analysis and preliminary construction planning. I know that I have barely touched the power of the software as far as concept to construction. The book Mastering Civil 3d is a very good book to assist with finding all the possible refinements hidden in the layers of the software and recommend it if you are using Civil 3d, however you will likely find additional reference materials may be helpful.

J M Cobb
Engineering Assistant
Shelby County Water Services
200 West College Street
County Administration Building
P. O. Box 10
Columbiana, AL 35051
(205) 670-6540 (Principal Office)
(205) 669-3877 (Facsimile)
jcobb@shelbyal.com
www.shelbyal.com
Message 16 of 19
paulkirkendall
in reply to: rab8150

Mastering Civil 3D 2013 has a chapter on the Storm and Sanitary Analysis. Not sure if that version is still available or not though.

Paul c. Kirkendall
Civil Application Engineer
MasterGraphics Inc.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks guys for all useful information, am new with CIVIL 3D have been playing with the software but am looking for a good practical book that give step by step approach to ROAD DESIGN USING CIVIL 3D. can you recommend any please. Thanks in advance.

Message 18 of 19
jcobb2014
in reply to: Anonymous

Mastering is pretty thorough in the corridor aspect. There could be other books that would specialize in different things like drainage and structures but I personally haven't needed it. Some of the other people here would be more knowledgeable about those.

J M Cobb
Engineering Assistant
Message 19 of 19
Civil3DReminders_com
in reply to: Anonymous

Wisconsin has been nice enough to share their manuals with the public: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/doing-bus/eng-consultants/cnslt-rsrces/tools/civil3d/civil-train.aspx

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report