Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mark items in alignment view to display in profile view...

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Postmaster_G
767 Views, 13 Replies

Mark items in alignment view to display in profile view...

Hello all! Civil 3D noob here... Though I have been using ACAD for about 5+ years, I have now begun using it for design by way of Civil 3D (about 3 months now).Robot tongue

Not knowing where to start makes it hard to know what to search for... so I appologize if this has been discussed previously.

I was wondering if after drawing an alignment, creating a profile, and profile view, is there a way I can mark items along the alignment so they could show up in the profile view.  I am laying out a pipeline and want to have the profile display a marker for items such as tees, elbows, reducers and other items.  The marker I would like to use will be something like the vertical style grade break markers.

Also on a side note, as each of these items will have a different name, is there a way that I can add these markers and then have each one with a unique name?

Thank you for your help!!!

-Meow
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
troma
in reply to: Postmaster_G

Look up the command for Project Objects to Profile View.

The commandline version is PROJECTOBJECTSTOPROF

It should also show up on the ribbon when you select your profile view.

There are a number of options for the style of the projction and its label, and the elevation for it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 14
Postmaster_G
in reply to: troma

That seems to work pretty well.  What type of objects can I make that can each have its own name.

I created a simple block called SPOT.  I placed it on the alignment where a given tee is located.  Then I copied and pasted that block onto the next tee.  When I project them to the profile they get named SPOT-1 and SPOT-2.  On the label I am using the object name field and it displays the name.

It would seem that doing it this way would mean I would have to ceate 200+ blocks each with its own name?

Are there other types of autocad objects that I can insert repeatedly, each one having its own name.  As far as the plan view size I would want the object to be a very small spot.

Thank you 🙂

-Meow
Message 4 of 14
troma

Do you really need distinct names, or could you use the station to distinguish between them?

Another option is to make a unique layer for each.  You can label the source object layer instead of name.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 14
Postmaster_G

I guess you are right... I only need probably 5-10 names.  TEE, REDUCER, HIGH POINT... ETC.

Perhaps I can have them as layers or object-1 object-2 and so on.

-Meow
Message 6 of 14
dgordon

why didn't you project the blocks you already has as tee, hydrant, bend, etc...?

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 7 of 14
Postmaster_G
in reply to: dgordon

The drawing is not a detailed drawing, it is an overall site plan.  Simple line work represents the piping.

This is what I ended up doing for now...

To label TEEs in the profile, I created a very small block (tiny circle with a tiny solid hatch) on its own layer called [4"x6"TEE].

Then I placed the block at each TEE location.

Next I would click project objects to profile.

Then I had to tediously select each block.

Then I change the label style text contents by adding in the "Source Layer"

Seems like this should be easier but it looks fine and didn't take too long.

Thanks for the advice!

-Meow
Message 8 of 14
troma

Should be easier....
Set up a label style with the right contents ahead of time.

When you go to project the block to profile view, make sure to select the right label.

If you click the column heading you can set the label for all of them at the same time.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 14
troma

You can go one step further and edit the command default settings to default to the desired marker style and label style every time you project items to profile view.

Mark Green

Message 10 of 14
Postmaster_G

Well I did get a label style setup after the first set of items had been projected.  So when the next set of items were projected, I was able to do as you said and just set them all.  The part I was hoping would be easier would be selecting all of the items between the time you click on project items to profile and when you hit enter and then select your options.  It would be nice if I could do some sort of quick select or select previous...

-Meow
Message 11 of 14
troma

I edited my acad.pgp file to make the keyboard shortcut POP for the command PROJECTOBJECTSTOPROF

That way I can select the objects first, then run the command.  (You can do they by typing the whole command too, but I like my shortcuts.)

You can use quick select or a right-click 'Select Similar', or anything else you fancy.

Mark Green

Message 12 of 14
Postmaster_G

Now that is a great suggestion!!  I changed my alias just as you had and it works great.

"POP" IS a great alias for this one 🙂

-Meow
Message 13 of 14
Postmaster_G
in reply to: dgordon

A lot of the items are just line work where the object type is assumed or called out (sizes etc.)
-Meow
Message 14 of 14
mabdelmesih

use command

PROJECTOBJECTSTOPROF

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report