Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapcheck analysis reporting multiple short segmants

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
wvyhonsky
776 Views, 9 Replies

Mapcheck analysis reporting multiple short segmants

Besides copying it to a different site, when running a mapcheck analysis on a parcel that has multiple parcel segments from different parcels intersecting it along a line or curve, is there a way to have it use the overall line in the report instead of breaking it into the multiple segments?

Thanks

C3D 2012

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Maine-iac
in reply to: wvyhonsky

Not that I know of. Unless 2012 is different than 2011. Your post appears to be related/a contiuation of this post http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Parcel-Segments-and-Feature-Lines-Interaction/m-p/195... 

As you specified, the simplest means to correct the problem would be to create another site, then right click on the subject parcel and select "Move to Site..."

Why this characteristic is a beneficial feature as stated by one of the repliers I have yet to understand. Why would I want my parcel segment broken up into small parts wherever a surface feature line intersects with it?

I did notice today that after moving the parcel to a new site, then back to the original where it has intersections with feature lines, The small segmentations of overall parcel lines were no longer shown in the Map Check analysis.

Civil 3D 2022.1
Windows 10 x64
HP ZBook 15 G5
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
32 GB RAM
Message 3 of 10
BrianHailey
in reply to: Maine-iac

You should NEVER under ANY circumstance put featurelines and parcels in the same site. I don't care if you can. You should NEVER do it. Just DON'T. I begging you, on my knees, don't do it! Why would you want them in the same site? There's no reason for it? Are you using your parcels segments for grading purposes? NO! Are you using your featurelines to adjust your parcels? NO!

Just don't do it!

Sites are one of the most misunderstood concepts in Civil 3D. Sites have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the location of the objects. It's the worst word they could have chosen for this concept. I wish they had made up a word at random (perhaps a cool Klingon word) for this instead of using the term "Site".

The ONLY time you should EVER add two things in the same site is when you INTENTIONALLY want them to interact with each other. If you can't say to yourself, "When that parcel segment changes, I want my featureline to change as well", then the shouldn't be in the same site.

HERE is a little write up on my blog about sites.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 10
wvyhonsky
in reply to: BrianHailey

I had parcel lines, not feature lines, intersecting with parcel lines in the same site.  I cannot think of a good reason, at least for platting purposes, to have different sites for parcels.  I also cant think of any good use for a parcel analysis that reports multiple segments where it is intersected by another parcel. 

Message 5 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: wvyhonsky

@wvyhonsky wrote:

Besides copying it to a different site, when running a mapcheck analysis on a parcel that has multiple parcel segments from different parcels intersecting it along a line or curve, is there a way to have it use the overall line in the report instead of breaking it into the multiple segments?

As far as I know. No. There isn't any other way. I usually create a separate site for the outbound parcel. When dealing with a parcel with multiple crossing easement. I create a site for each easement also.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

@wvyhonsky wrote:

As far as I know. No. There isn't any other way.

There is a way, but not built into C3D.... 

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_ParcelInverse.htm

With the "Merge contiguous segments" option checked it spans all of those short, same line/curve, segments.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 10
lunarfaze
in reply to: Jeff_M

Is this a purchased add-on feature?  This is the exact issue I have ran into.  

Message 8 of 10
wvyhonsky
in reply to: lunarfaze

Yes it is.  We don't have it so I couldn't tell you if it is going to do what you need.

This is one of the things I check for every release to see if it changed, but it hasn't.  Another thing is trying to take that report into word and get rid of the double line spaces.  We have to open it in word, copy it into notepad and back into word for it to recognize them as paragraph breaks.  Oh well we're used to it now.

Message 9 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: lunarfaze

It is part of a software add-on called Sincpac. You can download a 4 week trial at http://www.quuxsoft.com/. It contains many routines I find useful but you'll have to evaluate how it can help in your workflow.

I first purchased it for the ability to link point to a Surface so if the Surface is changed the point elevation automatically changes. But it's a very complete program with many features.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
lunarfaze
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thank you.  We are trying this out.  The routine in description looks perfect.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report