Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map query

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
jmayo-EE
586 Views, 24 Replies

Map query

I have a shp file with municipal parcels/lots. The lots have object data for lot and block. Is there  way with FDO to display and extract the outer boundary for all of the blocks?

I can do this with attaching the map but it is an iterative process of quering each and every block number. After I get the lots in a single block I then need to shrinkwrap all of those lots to get the outer boundary for the block. Time consuming for an entire county & I have two more counties to do.

Looking for faster methods...

John Mayo

EESignature

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Neilw_05
in reply to: jmayo-EE

What you can do is perform a DISSOLVE analysis on the lots using the Block attribute. That will consolidate all lots into a single polygon based on the block number. The end result should be a polygon for each block.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 25
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Neilw_05

Sounds promising... can you give a quick proccess walkthrough starting with shp. Are u doing this with a map attached and queried or a source file with the object data local. Giving it a sho. 250000 links. Got the 'this may take some time' warning...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 25
jmayo-EE

...Can't Create Topology. Intersections Found...

Now if I use Mapclean I lose the object data, no?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 25
Neilw_05

You'll need to have the live linework in your dwg to perform the analysis so the first step is to import the shape file. Once you have the linework you can proceed with the Dissolve. It's been a while since I performed a dissolve in Map so I'll refer you to the help system for the procedure.

If you want to post a sample I can go through it and post the results.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 6 of 25
Neilw_05

Hmm..if it wants a topology then you have a lot of work to do. You can convert the OD to centroids (a point object with all the OD attributes). Then cleanup the polygons to eliminate duplicates, break at junctions, etc. until it is clean enough to form a topology using the centroids to apply the attributes. Since I have ArcGIS I use that to perform such tasks as it is much more efficient. If you don't have that option then you'll have to go through the tedium in Map.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 7 of 25
jmayo-EE

23MB zip file with the esri data or 36 MB dwg... They won't post here. I got the data here.

https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplorer/IW.jsp?DLayer=NJ 2012 Orthophotography MG3 AutoCAD

Quick intructions to get the data from this server.

Zoom to the middle of NJ. Mercer County is on the western state border. Note the drop down list for the datasets to download. I am using the, 'Counties by County/Muni' dataset. Select this dataset. Use the Select by Point tool and click in Mercer County. Check the radio button for Mercer in the right Selection Panel. Down on the lower right click the Add Items to Cart and then click the # items in your cart for download link to get the data.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 25
Neilw_05

The web page won't load John. Can you wblock a chunk out to a file and post it?
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 25
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

There are several documents in the Map Knowlege Base on creating Topology from shp files .

First the shp file needs to be imported with the object data converted to a centoid usually the parcel number.

You need to find the document on drawing cleanup. There is a specific order to the clean up procedure. (On a big file it may take a 100 passes to clean the line work.)  I did a project with data in Oklahoma City the file from the county had several million parcels. It took several days to get it cleaned up so in would work. When you create the links; just let the computer work all night and don't touch it.

Jim

Matrix3Dsurveys

Message 10 of 25
jmayo-EE

I can send and email

Sed one to me   jmayo -at- vannoteharvey.    dot   com.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 25
jmayo-EE

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 25
jmayo-EE

Ok I got a bit of it up.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 25
jmayo-EE
in reply to: MATRIX3DSURVEYS

I'm searching Jim. Thnx.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 25
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

I’m at the office now: found my cheat sheets

The document numbers are:

TD251393    TS46607   TD255481   TS63594 

These are all tech documents in the knowledgebase most applied to the Map products but the procedures still work.

Just don’t touch the computer till it returns control or the program will lockup and crash. Save and save often.

Jim

Matrix3Dsurveys

Message 15 of 25

Also you can use data connect if using C3D 2014 or 2015 and convert the *.shp file to a *.sdf file. ( Planning and Analysis > Create > SDF)

Topology can then be created from the SDF file. SDF file has a limit to the number of data fields but can be linked to an Access mdb for additional information.

Note: need to have Office 2013 pro installed with net frame work for Access and Excel tables to work.

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys

Message 16 of 25
Hidden_Brain

Not sure if you have access to ArcMap (basic license will work), this may be easier to achieve in ArcMap than with C3D/Map 3D. add the shp, then run dissolve tool (I think under Data Management category) by the block number attribute field and it will generate the block boundaries for you.
Message 17 of 25

I'm pretty sure it can be done with FDO. I'll look on Monday
Message 18 of 25
Murph_Map
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

@engineer4life1979 wrote:
Not sure if you have access to ArcMap (basic license will work), this may be easier to achieve in ArcMap than with C3D/Map 3D. add the shp, then run dissolve tool (I think under Data Management category) by the block number attribute field and it will generate the block boundaries for you.

That's the way I used to do it too. Quicker than trying to create the topology and running dissolve. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 19 of 25

I brought in a copy of a parcel map with FDO manually grabed a group of lots and pressed the merge button on the ribbon and got one block?

Message 20 of 25

Not automated by faster than what I was doing. Thanks!

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report