Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map Import Fail in 2014

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
fcernst
1017 Views, 10 Replies

Map Import Fail in 2014

I am getting the following two errors when try to Mapimport either SDF or SHP files. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: fcernst

See the fix for this, posted by Todd Rogers, in this thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/MapExport-on-2014-Not-Working/td-p/3863200

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 11
troma
in reply to: Jeff_M

Message 4 of 11
fcernst

Thanks Jeff.

Good grief!

This is the third file: 1)dll, 2) dbx , 3)XML that I have had to unzip and install myself for this installation into various deep program paths... I pay too much for this.

Dave Simeone's quality control management of Civil 3D continues to be absolutely horrendous.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 11
Cadguru42

@fcernst wrote:

Thanks Jeff.

Good grief!

This is the third file: 1)dll, 2) dbx , 3)XML that I have had to unzip and install myself for this installation into various deep program paths... I pay too much for this.

Dave Simeone's quality control management of Civil 3D continues to be absolutely horrendous.

To be fair, this is a Map issue, not a C3D issue. But I do agree that it's horrible that the basic functions in Map, like creating/loading a SDF or SHP file wouldn't work out of the box. What are #1 and #2 on your list for?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 11
fcernst
in reply to: Cadguru42

"To be fair, this is a Map issue, not a C3D issue."

No, to be accurate, it is a Dave Simeone issue. He is the one in charge of the whole integrated Suite of software we use. He is the one to be held accountable.

You have to clearly define the ultimate source of these systemic problems to be effective and hold them accountable.

It is not effective when Users on this forum simply rail against the general non-embodiment known as "Autodesk" . I wish Autodesk would do this, do that, etc.

I am finding "known issues" with the software that have gone unresolved 3, 4, ...7 years. This is the Product Manager's responsibility, and it is an unacceptable situation as "new" versions of the software are delivered to us on subscription. These are project critical issues that effectively stymie our projects cold, as we have to spend project billable time to search for workarounds, this impacts budgets that were simply projected on the software's marketed capabilities.

They say you can communicate to Dave here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

• The files you ask about are listed under the Civil 3D 2014 Downloads and Service Packs.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 11
Jeff_M

@fcernst wrote:

"To be fair, this is a Map issue, not a C3D issue."

No, to be accurate, it is a Dave Simeone issue. He is the one in charge of the whole integrated Suite of software we use. He is the one to be held accountable.

<sigh> No, he is not. By your definition then he would also be in charge of anything in base AutoCAD that doens't work correctly, which is just plain ludicrous. You continual bashing of one specific person, who does come here to try to fix things, has caused me to ignore most of your more recent posts. I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same way. Bash the product, bash us Beta testers who didn't catch some of these things, bash yourself for NOT being a Beta tester, but please lay off the individual attacks.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 11
fcernst

"but please lay off the individual attacks."

You make this sound like I have some personal issue with Dave Simeone, not at all. I have never even met him, unfortunately. I am resolved to communicate very directly and effectively to get the software fixed..ASAP.., so we as a company stop continually stumbling on project critical path elements.

I care about my industry, and this is the software we use. 

The information I provide is all critique of an unsuccessful product quality management system, and a lack of innovative ideas to address civil engineering standard practice requirements (drainage model space interaction with design elements, site subgrade quantity solution, etc). This is all business for now.

There are software defects that have gone unresloved for years and perpetuated through the software releases. The Civil 3D management team classifies these as "known issues".

When I run into a problem, spending project hours debugging a problem, then spend time trying to convince first tier support their is a problem...then find out it is a known issue...Well, I think you can understand the frustration and economic impact to an engineering company. 

Why should I bash myself for not being a Beta tester? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I sure feel like a Beta tester though, setting up this road widening project for our team. I just found an issue with the OverlayMillandLevel2 subassembly, that is now more project critical for us than QTO. Then the research shows this issue was raised by a User in this forum in 2006!  Absolutely, no one replied to him though. Unacceptable.

I pay a fair price based on a software's documented capabilities to take every step to help ensure my business is profitable..  You see, I'm a paying customer.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> This is the third file: 1)dll, 2) dbx , 3)XML that I have had to unzip and install myself for this installation

>> into various deep program paths... I pay too much for this.

You want to have repairs of the software ... now you offend that there exist some 😞

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 10 of 11
jhoubart
Message 11 of 11
neilyj666

although getting back to the original post: this is indeed a fairly basic QA error on the part of Autodesk.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report