Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map Error Message?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
DaveM
357 Views, 10 Replies

Map Error Message?

All

I attached two external DWG using the add source drawings in map, then I queried a single drawing into my current drawing. Which I must admit was pretty cool. However know everytime I save, autosave, or Pubblish I get the message below. When searching the internet I found a tutorial that warns you about this, but I am not really sure what it is, or more importantly how to make it GO AWAY!

Is anyone here familiar with this message?

9-4-2013 2-32-20 PM.png

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
john.mckenzie
in reply to: DaveM

yes.

There are saveback options that allow you to modify queried objects and have them save back to the attached data file. A link needs to exist to do this. that is wht the MAP attach dwg thing is all about.

Because you are getting this message I think that the original data file is still attached in the map function.

I think you can detach these by backing through the process you used to attach them in the first place.

they will not be dynamically linked anymore but it sounds like you don't want them to be anyway.

Give it a try.

Message 3 of 11
Neilw_05

As Dave implied, when you query data and start making edits to it, Map saves those edits in a cache. You can tell Map to write those edits back to the attached drawing at any time while you work (it doesn't save them automatically by default). If you have unwritten edits in the cache when you close the drawing, Map will warn you about those unsaved edits and allow you to cancel and go back to write them to the file first.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 11
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

Sorry, I should have said "As John implied".

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 11
DaveM
in reply to: john.mckenzie

@john.mckenzie wrote:

yes.

There are saveback options that allow you to modify queried objects and have them save back to the attached data file. A link needs to exist to do this. that is wht the MAP attach dwg thing is all about.

Because you are getting this message I think that the original data file is still attached in the map function.

I think you can detach these by backing through the process you used to attach them in the first place.

they will not be dynamically linked anymore but it sounds like you don't want them to be anyway.

Give it a try.

I detached and when i exited and came back, the borrowed linework dissapeared. I am hoping to find a way to keep the linework and lose the message. You are correct in the fact that i dont really care if the two are linked. In this instance i was simply using pavement from some city GIS files that were provided in DWG form to create a vicinity map. Thanks for the idea

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 6 of 11
john.mckenzie
in reply to: Neilw_05

I just tested this because I often answer from memory only to be proven by another poster that my memory is not what it once was LOL.

So,

I attached a dwg.

Queried

Saved dwg file that I quieried object into.

I got the message that you  mentioned because it is warning me that the link will not be saved to the original data once I close out.

When I reopened the file containing the quieried objects, I did not get the message. I also did not get it again when I closed.

Not sure why you are repeatedly getting the message.

Message 7 of 11
john.mckenzie

Suspect that you and I are talking 2 different things here. If you queried the attached file and the entities showed up, you should be able to save the file and get the message mentioned. When you reopen, you should have the queried objects without the link.

Are you sure that the objects were queried in.

use query

all

draw

"execute query"

you may have just previewed them and not actually drawn them. hence they disappear.

Message 8 of 11
DaveM

I am new to querrying drawings, maybe I missed a step? Here is a dropbox lint to a video of the steps I took after attaching the source drawings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkw1q6ewbdej4ki/Querry%20Video.mp4

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 9 of 11
john.mckenzie

Did not recognize what you did there.

Here is how I do it

Set workspace to planning and analysis.

On the ribbon...data....attach......select dwgs...... add hit OK

Then I click on the funnel with the pencil (icon for define query)

Query type I pick location and toggle all

Query mode I choose Draw

then I execute the query.

this gives you everything in the source drawing. you can modify your query type to get specific data. I use all because I am usually using the query to assign elevation to contours that come from GIS at zero but have the extended data supporting the actual elevation.

I am a bit limited on my querying capabilities also.

Message 10 of 11
DaveM

@john.mckenzie wrote:

Did not recognize what you did there.

Here is how I do it

Set workspace to planning and analysis.

On the ribbon...data....attach......select dwgs...... add hit OK

Then I click on the funnel with the pencil (icon for define query)

Query type I pick location and toggle all

Query mode I choose Draw

then I execute the query.

this gives you everything in the source drawing. you can modify your query type to get specific data. I use all because I am usually using the query to assign elevation to contours that come from GIS at zero but have the extended data supporting the actual elevation.

I am a bit limited on my querying capabilities also.

That worked. Now I am curious as to what I actually did earlier. I keep meaning to find a work through some map tutorials, but my time just keeps getting more and more limited.

Thanks for sticking with me to the end.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 11 of 11
Murph_Map

@dmartin wrote:

That worked. Now I am curious as to what I actually did earlier. I keep meaning to find a work through some map tutorials, but my time just keeps getting more and more limited.

Thanks for sticking with me to the end.

One thing that may of cause the mixup is you where working from the display manager, to save from there you need to save the "map" (not the dwg) If you like using the Map task pane switch to the Map Explorer tab to attach and query from other dwgs. Also FYI to keep issue from happening down the road limit the map stuff to the model tab and not in any layout tabs, even in a MS viewport.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report