Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map 3D functionality in Civil 3D 2011

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bcwautocad
2149 Views, 8 Replies

Map 3D functionality in Civil 3D 2011

From everything I've read I should be able to access all of the Map 3D functionality from within Civil 3D - is this correct? I just loaded a trial version of Civil 3D 2011 and I have none of the Map 3D functions. What do I need to do to turn those on? Is it an installation configuration? A workspace setting? Or simply another download and install?

Thank you,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SethHall
in reply to: bcwautocad

Hi bcwautocad-

What type of functionality are you looking for? To access the Map Ribbons you will need to switch to either the Task based or Tool based Geospacial workspaces by clicking the little "cog wheel" in the lower left hand corner of the application window. If you are having trouble displaying certain image types you will need to download the Raster Object Enabler from Autodesk.com: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL15201709

Hope this helps!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 9
Sinc

I find the easiest way to use a lot of the Map commands is to simply type them at the command line.  That includes commands like:

MAPCLEAN

ADEDEFCRDSYS

MAPWSPACE

MAPOPTIONS

MAPIOPTIONS

MAPIINSERT

If I'm doing anything more elaborate with Map commands, I'll switch to a Map workspace.  But if all I want is one of the above commands, I just type it at the command line - I find that simpler than messing with workspaces.

Sinc
Message 4 of 9
edwa8511
in reply to: Sinc

I am primarily a Map user, but I am always asked to assist Civil users and I find this absurd.  If Civil is claimed to build on Map and have all of it's functions, then why aren't Map commands easier to find/use?

I always end up looking dumb while searching for a command in Civil and just end up typing it in.  Newer cad users seem to look down on us Command Line users...but they keep asking asking for help...

Message 5 of 9
Sinc
in reply to: edwa8511

It probably has something to do with the way that Map and C3D are really two separate programs that happen to reside inside the same executable.

Note how you can't use any Map commands on any Civil 3D entities...  Smiley Mad

Sinc
Message 6 of 9
Cadguru42

Don't forget that a lot of the icons for Map ribbons and toolbars won't show up correctly while in Civil 3D.  For instance, from the Task Pane, select an imported layer.  The contextual ribbon for Vector Layer shows up, but almost every single icon has a cloud with a question mark on it.  Goto the Analyze ribbon tab and try selecting the Inquiry button Line & Arc Information.  You get a "_mapcglist Unknown command "MAPCGLIST". Press F1 for help." error message.  There are many other map inquiry commands that just don't work in Civil 3D.  I know there are actual Civil 3D commands that are the equivilent, but why does Autodesk include commands and ribbons for commands that have been removed?

This has been a problem with the Map implementation in Civil 3D since it started, yet Autodesk just won't fix it.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: Cadguru42

I raised a suport query regarding those cloud icons and the reply is below - it worked for me.....!!!!!!

"....I have found a workaround to the icon issue you mentionned earlier

1) In your Civil 3D installation folder, copy the file "Map_PlanningAnalysis.dll" and rename the copy "Map.dll".

You should have these 2 files available in your install folder.

Icons are back...

I suspect this issue will be fixed in the next Update.
Before applying the update, undo the modification you have made in point 1 above to avoid any side effect....."

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 9
LeafRiders
in reply to: neilyj666

This still isn't fixed with installing recent updates. I have the Map 3D toolbars and Menus loaded and there are no icons / bitmaps for any of the Map 3D features I'm looking to use in Civil 3D. 

Trying to explain all of these Autodesk misses to an IT department that expects the software and updates to look after the necessities is getting more and more difficult. Maybe the Autodesk developers can take the initiative to ensure these types of things aren't missing from the basic install. Many Civil 3D users need Map 3D tools, which is why this software is packaged as such.

Maybe someone could provide support on this issue. I'm guessing but 2012 is probably the same story. With the "workaround" noted above, do you need to modify the .dll then do a reinstall (after an uninstall), or can a repair add the necessary files for Map 3D features to work properly?

Message 9 of 9
Sinc
in reply to: LeafRiders

The Autodesk CUI has suffered major design flaws since its introduction.  Frustrating, I know.  I just get around it by manually writing out icons from Map into .BMP files, then manually adding them back into my C3D CUI, so I get the Map icons in C3D.  Very tedious, but I only do have to do it once, then I share that CUI company-wide.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report