Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manhole Penetration Diagram

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
AKSBrettHartley
1910 Views, 6 Replies

Manhole Penetration Diagram

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone figured out a way to do a manhole diagram that illustrates the pipe penetrations to verify minimum distance between knockouts (similar to attached).  I figured that since C3d seems to know where the pipes are coming in from, it should be a big leap to unwrap the manhole and show the penetrations.

Thanks,

Rand Waltz

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AKSBrettHartley

I know this sounds silly, but if you had a mini alignment round the circunference of the manhole and profiled it to a 1:1 grid ...maybe?

But that would be  alot of silly work with out some 3rd partyware

and only show the pipes

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
sboon
in reply to: AKSBrettHartley

I've never seen a diagram like that, but given the diameter of the manhole and the bearings of the pipes it should be possible to build something like it.  Perhaps you could post this on the Customization forum and find someone there who can program it for you.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 7
sirjoelsph
in reply to: sboon

I gave this a quick try just because I was curious what it would actually do.  10 foot structure with 66 inch and 18 inch pipes coming in.  It successfully profiled the inside diameter of the structure and showed the pipe penetrations in the correct location.  I found two limitations that mostly ruin the functionality of why someone would want to use it in the first place - check for the distances between pipes on the inner wall.

1: Don't start and/or end your alignment in the middle of a pipe.  Once set to a crossing pipe style, it will only show half of the pipe at the beginning or end of your profile, not both half circles.  It will however show two circles in the correct location for pipes that are not broken by the structure that pass completely through the structure.

2: It will only show you the circle of the pipe size where the alignment crosses the center of the pipe, not the actual ellipse that a round hole would make in a curved structure.  I feel like this is the big killer to the usefulness of doing this in the first place since you wouldn't be able to dimension or measure between the actual holes cut into the structure.

-JOEL
Message 5 of 7

what type of system is that for?
Message 6 of 7

That particular system was for a regional stormwater facility.  That particular manhole was the first or second upstream manhole before discharging into a treatment facility.  But I have to show these to jurisdicitons quite often; typically any time pipes penetrate at an acute angle with little vertical separation.

Thanks for your comments.

Rand

Message 7 of 7
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Great suggestion Joe! I get diagrams like these from the precasters as submittals for review. Thanks to your suggestion, I now know how to create one if I ever have to.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report