Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

manhole label inv references adjacent null instead of next manhole

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Norm777
642 Views, 3 Replies

manhole label inv references adjacent null instead of next manhole

I'm on the low end of the c3d learning curve and am wondering how people have been handling label issues I'm having.

I have a sanitary run manhole to manhole with null structures in between for lats.  Each null is named "wye(lot#)" which I really do not need labeled anywhere but grants me the illusion of order and control.  When I label the manhole (style uses text for each component) it references the inverts as from adjacent structure the nearest of which is the null.  I need it to reference the upstream manhole as the from structure.  Any suggestions?  BMP?

Another issue is the text for each component.  There are times when I need to have the manhole label show "INV 8" IN 209.50 Int Drop (MH110)" or "INV 8" IN 208.75 w/ Slide (MH 108)".  But as you know if I add to one I add to all.  I found a post that discussed editing the xml to do this but my code either looked different than the example or I was looking at it cross eyed.  I think if I could add an invert type column to the structure properties pipes tab the text for each component could add it to the label.  Easier said than done?  Is there a better way people have been handling this?

C3D 2012

TIA

Norm

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
troma
in reply to: Norm777

We don't use pipes for the wyes or the private connections to lots. They don't need to show up in profile, or be labeled anywhere, so there is no point. Plus with earlier releases you couldn't put a label spanning across two pipes, so we needed one pipe from manhole to manhole. (You could do it in plan or profile, can't remember which, but not in both like you can now in 2011 anyway.)
Not the answer you want to hear, but that's my perspective.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 4
Norm777
in reply to: troma

Thanks for the reply.  I share your perspective and may apply it to this project if no solution is presented.

Norm

Message 4 of 4
ccoles
in reply to: Norm777

troma had the right idea. Using a null structure for the wye, tee, or bend will define that null structure as the upstream structure. Therefore, reading the upstream invert will read it from the structure point the pipe breaks at, which is the null structure. Deleting the null structures and connecting the manholes with a single pipe would restore the proper label function. And you can show the wye as just an ACAD block on top of the pipe where it needs to go.

Alternative for that would be to use 'Edit Label Text', and input the correct information manually, but that would not be dynamic. This function changes the label text just for that label, and there is a function to reset the label back to the original style if needed.

As far as the label differences (Int Drop vs Slide), you could create separate label styles to show the information how you want it displayed. Or again, use the 'Edit Label Text' function to manually add the invert type to each label.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report