Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Figure Prefix Database question

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
kbiggs
7218 Views, 9 Replies

Managing Figure Prefix Database question

We are implementing a new coding system based upon our MoT/DoT survey codes, for Civil 3D 2012. These survey codes vary from single code letters, up to and including 4 characters.

The question I have is how to setup the figure prefix library to incorporate these codes, and have them work as intended. For example, I have a single code of "C" for centerline which requires a figure. However, as I have a description key of "CB", a figure will be insert for the "CB", using the figure prefix paramenters of "C", which is not what I want. I understand that I can have multiple description key files and set the sort order when importing survey data. Is this option available for the figure prefix library, or am I forced to amend the survey codes so that all codes contain 4 characters? Am I overthinking this issue?

Our previous survey code list worked well with the figure prefix library, as there were 2 and 3 letter codes that were unique enough not to cause this issue. However, using the new survey codes is presenting somewhat of a challenge to be incorporated into the figure prefix database.

Keith Biggs

CAD Tech Coordinator

RF Binnie & Associates Ltd

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: kbiggs

Using single letters is going to cause a lot of problems because if you have more than one code that uses the first letter you're going to have issues.  Use CL for centerline and CB will be fine.  If you use just C, how will C3D know what figure to create?

Basically, whatever codes you use make sure that one code does not contain the beginning sequence of letters compared to another code.  For instance, C3D won't know what to do with a code of CB and another code of CBL.  It's not just the first letter, but the first sequence of letters.  

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 10
mikeharris17

We use numeric codes, and had the same issue. Most were three digits, but were being hijacked by two digit codes with the same beginning sequence. We had to change to all 3-digit codes. Good luck. I hope there would be a better solution.
Message 4 of 10
kbiggs

Thanks for confirming what I thought would be the answer. I know the figure prefix library was incorporated from Land Desktop. It is unfortunate that Autodesk did not incorporate the functionality included in CAiCE, since they are using the CAiCE technology in Civil 3D. CAiCE has the ability to read the survey codes and parse out the figure/string number. If the resulting code matches exactly the figure library, then the figure/string line is drawn. This functionality is what I believe we need in Civil 3D.

Keith Biggs

CAD Tech Coordinator

Message 5 of 10
cbaildon001

In 2013 the figure prefix database works fine. It will search for the longest matching code first and not the first alphabetically matching code. So if the field code is "CB1" it will match "CB" before it would match "C".

To get the description key set to work the same way I created 5 key sets. One with 5 letter codes, one with 4 letter codes, on with 3, then 2, then 1. Then I ordered the decsription key set search order from 5 first, through to 1 last. That way it will match the longer codes before shorter codes.

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 6 of 10
kbiggs
in reply to: cbaildon001

Thanks for the info. Not ready to upgrade to 2013 quite yet though.

Keith Biggs

CAD Tech Coordinator

Message 7 of 10
JFasteen

So I got a similar issue to this. We sometimes use very descriptive field codes that sometimes have multiple strings within them that are also description keys. The example I am having "fun" with right now is the SPOT code. We have SPOT (simple random shot) but the surveyors add descriptions after the code. When I get SPOT CONCRETE back, C3D processes this as an edge of concrete shot (field code CON). Is there any way to make C3D look in the first four letters of the string to determine my governing code?

C3D 2013

Xeon-E5-1620

32 GB RAM

Windows 7

Message 8 of 10
cbaildon001
in reply to: JFasteen

The first part of the point code is what is searched for in the Description Key Set and will dictate the point style and layer etc. In your case that is SPOT. Secondary parts to a point code are used to join multiple survey figures to a single point. So I assume that you mean a survey figure representing the edge of concrete also has a vertice at this point, when you don't want it to?

If you want Civil3D to stop reading a point codeat a particular place in the point code then use the "Field code escape" character as defined in your "Linework Code Set".

For me that would be "SPOT/CONCRETE" (you can also insert spaces either side of the /).

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 9 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: JFasteen

@JFasteen wrote:

So I got a similar issue to this. We sometimes use very descriptive field codes that sometimes have multiple strings within them that are also description keys. The example I am having "fun" with right now is the SPOT code. We have SPOT (simple random shot) but the surveyors add descriptions after the code. When I get SPOT CONCRETE back, C3D processes this as an edge of concrete shot (field code CON). Is there any way to make C3D look in the first four letters of the string to determine my governing code?

We were having a similar issue.  I found (from the forums!) that under the Edit Linework Code Set there is an option under Coding Methods that says "Automatic begin on figure prefix match".  I turned that off.  From what I've seen it won't draw figures unless you use the Begin code you've set.

Using your example, if a point is coded SPOT CONCRETE it won't try to draw a figure called CONCRETE because there is no Begin code for the figure CONCRETE.  We use ST as the Begin code, so for us to start a figure we have to have ST after the figure name.  For example, to do a curb and gutter for our region, we use FC ST to begin the figure and FC END to end it. If we do not put the ST after the FC, then the figure is not drawn.

Hope that helps.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 10
JFasteen
in reply to: Cadguru42

Both viable options for me. Thank you for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report